VIII.III

Setting: Demi's House, Calabasas, CA

"What is all of this stuff on this counter," Demi mumbled as she took in the mess on top of her marble countertop

"What is all of this stuff on this counter," Demi mumbled as she took in the mess on top of her marble countertop. There was a half empty packet of Oreos next to an opened bottle of ranch that had clearly been eaten with whatever was inside of the empty bowls that were scattered across the counter top. Demi had gone on a run this morning, but she hadn't even noticed the mess until she came back. And since it definitely wasn't her or Muse who had made the mess, that only left one other person who could've done it.

"MADISON!" Demi screamed, moving towards the living room so that the sleeping college student would be able to hear her from the guest bedroom. "MADISON!"

"WHAT?"

"GET OUT HERE!" Demi demanded.

A few minutes later, Maddie trudged into the living room, her black hair falling out of its bun and her hands viciously rubbing at her eyes as she tried to wake herself up. Maddie attended school at UCLA and even though Dianna's house was close enough to the school that she didn't have to live on campus, Maddie had been fed up with living with her parents, so Demi had agreed to let her live with her. It was nice to have an in house babysitter, and Maddie was definitely Muse's favorite aunt at the moment, but Demi wasn't too sure how long this arrangement was going to last considering the fact that Maddie seemed to have a serious problem with cleaning up after herself. Demi was pretty close to packing up her shit and shipping her over to Dallas's house. Yes, she had a maid that came twice a week, but it wouldn't kill Maddie to clean up after herself and her friends.

"Demi...it's Saturday. I was in class all day yesterday-"

"You had two classes then you came back home with your friends and binge watched Grey's Anatomy," Demi reminded her, eliciting an eye roll from her younger sister.

"Okay, but-"

"Maddie...I want you to live here. I like having you here. Muse likes having you here. But if you and your friends are going to be up at all hours of the night, ransacking my kitchen, the least you could do is clean up after yourself. Go brush your teeth then come back out here and clean up your mess," Demi demanded, causing Maddie to nod before she went back to her room.

Demi heard the door close, and then Muse came down the stairs in her pajamas. Demi had let her sleep in late because she had a bad day yesterday. In the tradition of boujie ass elementary schools, Muse's school had decided that instead of having "bring your child to work" day, they would have "bring your parent to school" day under the assumption that all the parents of the kids who attended their school had flexible schedules and could take out an entire day to sit in tiny chairs and talk about their glamorous careers to kids who didn't really care. And they were right...they could. Muse still didn't have a grasp of what Demi's actual job was, but she understood what Cristo did, so she had asked him to go with her to school, but Cristo's dad had passed away the night before, so while he flew to Paris to handle funeral arrangements, Demi had to go to school with Muse. Needless to say, Muse wasn't every happy about it. Nicolas was Muse's first instance of dealing with death, and she really didn't understand what had happened and why Cristo couldn't be there for her. So, Demi let her cry it out. They left school early, got some ice cream, and Muse spent the rest of the day snuggled into Demi's side watching her favorite movies. They were scheduled to fly to Paris on Monday morning for the funeral.