VII.XII

Setting: Demi and Cristo's House, Calabasas, CA

Muse was spending another night with her cousins, but this time it was with Stormi and Chi at Kylie's house, so if she really wanted to come home she was only down the street

Muse was spending another night with her cousins, but this time it was with Stormi and Chi at Kylie's house, so if she really wanted to come home she was only down the street. Everyone had come to her performance at the Grammy museum, which Demi was fine with until she had the worst emotional breakdown towards the end of her set. She was almost finished with "Smoke and Mirrors", she was going into the last chorus, and she suddenly just started crying. An ugly, terrible cry that came from the very depths of her heart, a cry that didn't stop until she was back in the safety of her own home, nursing a bottle of wine while watching the home movies that Cristo had been collecting since he picked up his little vlogging habit. It was kind of sad that just from the videos Demi could tell when their relationship had started to deteriorate. The footage became shorter, the moments of happiness disappeared until suddenly Muse went from being one year and a few months old to being three in the blink of an eye, all that footage missing in between because they just weren't happy, so there was nothing to record. Who wanted to watch blow out arguments and parents trying to work it out from different continents?

Demi finished off what was left in the wine bottle and placed it on the table next to her, curling into herself in the movie room that Khloe had decorated for them as she pulled her phone out and sent a simple text. She switched off the home videos, instead choosing to mindlessly watch episodes on the ID channel that she had already seen, cursing herself for not grabbing another bottle of wine before coming down here. After forty minutes of dosing in and out of sleep, Demi heard the door open, and then Cristo walked in, taking in her small figure wrapped in a cashmere cardigan that was way too big for her, her eyes sad and low as he took a seat next to her.

"What is it?"

"We can't do this anymore," Demi whispered, causing Cristo to grab the remote and turn the projector off.

"What?"

"We can't do this anymore. I can't do this anymore. I don't even...there are just no words to describe how I feel about you. I have tried so hard to be at peace and to still be around you and to just...I've really been trying. But you told Taylor the same exact thing you told me, the thing that made me fall in love with you. And after everything we've been through and everything you've said to me, it's just hard to believe that any of this was ever real. That we were ever real. So, we can't do this anymore," Demi finished off, her voice thick with tears as Cristo reached forward to touch her, probably to attempt to comfort her, but she pulled away.

"Demi-"

"I don't think we were meant to be. I don't think we were meant to be married. And it's not just on you. It's on me too. Maybe I wasn't ready to get married. There were all those obstacles in the way...and they were my fault. Maybe I was trying to stop myself, but I kept pushing forward because I loved you, and a part of me still does. But it's not enough. It's never going to be enough, especially after what you did," Demi sniffled, and this time Cristo didn't try to interrupt her.