VII.X

Setting: Whole Foods Market, Calabasas, CA

One of the most awkward situations that Demi had ever been in as a celebrity was standing in line at the grocery store where the racks on the sides of the aisles were neatly packed with trashy tabloids and entertainment magazines, watching the per...

One of the most awkward situations that Demi had ever been in as a celebrity was standing in line at the grocery store where the racks on the sides of the aisles were neatly packed with trashy tabloids and entertainment magazines, watching the person in front of her pick up one of those magazines while waiting in line and shifting through the latest gossip about who was dating who and which celebrity house just went up for sale. Well, Kourtney Kardashian certainly wasn't dating a 20 year old - or at least Demi didn't think she was - and Jennifer Lopez wasn't moving to Bel Air. Demi had just been with her last week and she was still gushing about her custom-built Malibu mansion. Most of the time, she wasn't on the cover. She prided herself on dipping and dodging around town, making sure that barely any of her life was captured on camera - without her consent.

But sometimes, she just couldn't avoid being on the covers. Sometimes being incognito wasn't enough, especially when it came to her ex-husband. So, when Demi was standing in line at Whole Foods - because Muse's class needed cupcakes for a Thanksgiving "harvest" party and most of the kids were allergic to gluten - and she saw herself on the cover of Entertainment Weekly with "the real reason behind the Ghesquiere split - mistress speaks out," splashed across the page, her heart dropped to the middle of her ass. And when the woman holding the magazine turned to put it back and caught Demi's eyes, she was ready to bolt. There was nothing like being a celebrity.

Checking out was swift and easy, thank God. Demi had to rush to a label meeting because her management wanted to discuss a few things with her. Demi didn't mind because Muse was in school and it would be time to pick her up by the time the meeting was over. The Roc Nation headquarters were in the very middle of Los Angeles and Demi had no doubt that Jay did that on purpose. It took her thirty minutes to make it back into the city and another ten to make it onto the floor where the meeting was being held. Dressed in a pair of black slacks with a modest but slightly sheer black bodysuit, Demi combed her fingers through her hair before entering the conference room where Jay, Kris, and the other people on her team were waiting for her.

"Hello," Demi greeted, pulling out one of the leather office chairs and taking a seat before placing her black Yves Saint Laurent bag in the empty chair next to hers.

"Good morning, Demi. How are you?" Jay greeted since he was the head of her team, after all.

"I'm fine...how are you? How's the family?" Demi asked, sitting up a little bit straighter as she crossed one leg over the other.

"Everyone's good. I just wanted to talk to you about this whole...Cristo thing," Jay said as Demi furrowed her eyebrows.

"What about it?"

"Well, you've been in the studio, haven't you?"

"I've put in a few hours every day...but I only have like two songs. Not enough for an album," Demi shrugged but Jay shook his head.