21. Incendiary

(TRIGGER WARNING!!)

incendiary
[inˈsendēˌerē]
noun
a person who starts fires

A splitting headache burned behind Tyler's temples when he woke. He groaned, opening his eyes slowly.

He was... at home? In the bedroom?

For a few moments, Tyler had completely forgotten what happened. He didn't know, but it had been two hours since Josh brought him home. He had been asleep the whole time.

A strand of hair fell in Tyler's eyes, so the boy went to brush it away but... He couldn't. He was... Tied to the bed?

"What the fuck," he whispered to himself, tugging at the ropes that connected his wrists to the bed posts.

"You're finally awake," Josh says, startling the brunette. He hadn't seen him sitting on the other edge of the bed.

"What is this, Josh?" Tyler asked, trying so damn hard to ignore his racing heart.

He had a bad, bad feeling.

"Tyler," the man starts, his back still facing said boy. "I did warn you, didn't I?"

"What the fuck? Are you crazy? Untie me!" Tyler demanded, twisting his wrists in an attempt to loosen the ropes, but it was no use.

"That's right, I did warn you," Josh continued, completely ignoring him. "So don't act surprised."

"Josh, please," Tyler said softly, not quite understanding but not sure if he wanted to. "Untie me and we can work this out."

"We've already tried that," Josh shook his head, finally turning to look at Tyler. "I warned you."

Josh truly looked like a fucking psycho. His stare was cold and empty, which conflicted with the slight curl of his lips into a twisted smile. His faded hair was disheveled, facing every which way while his hands held a box of matches.

"Josh?" The brunette whispered, glancing between the matches and the man in fear. "What are you doing?"

"I tried to say that you would regret leaving, but you didn't listen to me... You never listen," Josh tsked, sighing.

Despite Josh's calm demeanor, Tyler noticed the way his hands trembled around the match box.

"I'm sorry," he said, quickly. "I'll listen, I promise. Just... Just don't... Don't hurt me."

"Don't hurt you?" Josh suddenly chuckled, making Tyler flinch as he rose from the bed. "Well, I've never been burned alive before, but I imagine it hurts real bad..."

Tyler's jaw dropped as he watched Josh pick up a gas can. The latter held it up with a smile while tears spilled from Tyler's eyes.

"Josh! Stop!" He cried, once again tugging on the ropes. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Don't do this..."

Josh watched the brunette with a blank stare, head tilted slightly. "I don't understand, Tyler. You wanted to leave. I warned you. I'm helping you leave for good."

"I don't want to die, dumbass! You're crazy! Let me go!" Tyler sobbed, pulling and pulling, desperate to free himself.

"I'm not fucking crazy," Josh muttered, jaw clenched. "I'm just reaaaaal angry."

And with that, Josh began dumping the gasoline. The floor, the walls, the curtains, the clothes, and lastly the bed. He poured the remnants of the gasoline over top of Tyler, ignoring the absolutely horrific screams emitting from him.

Despite every gasp of breath he took, Tyler could not fucking breathe. Not only was the strong smell suffocating, but Tyler was so scared he was almost certain he was experiencing a panic attack.

"Shhhh," Josh finally said, pressing his palm against Tyler's mouth, only scaring him more. "Don't worry. I think you'll go to Heaven. As for me... I'm not so sure..."

Tyler shook his head rapidly, drawing his mouth away from Josh while he took a deep breath. "Please, please, please, please, please," he whispered, begging to be set free.

Josh only shook his head, tapping his fingernail against the box of matches. "Too late. You can't run away this time. Tyler."

"Please, please, please..."

Josh reached out with the hand not holding the matches and caressed Tyler's tear-stained cheek. "I'm doing this for you, for us. You should be happy."

"Fuck you," Tyler mumbled, heart aching and stomach churning. He hated that he drew comfort from Josh's touch, hated that he could feel any ounce of security from the man.

"Tyler," Josh sighed. "I love you, I really do."

"Then let me go."

"You don't understand how much good I'm doing. We can't be happy on Earth, but everyone is happy in Heaven. All I have to do is hope that I'll be forgiven for what I'm about to do so I'll go to Heaven with you."

"What the actual fuck are you talking about?" Tyler asked, overcome with fear when Josh suddenly struck a match against the box, igniting the flame.

"If we can't be alive together, we'll be dead together."

And with that, Josh tossed the match on top of Tyler's stomach, flames immediately engulfing him. The ear-piercing screams ripped through Josh like the bullet that was about to do the same to his brain.

He left the bedroom, shutting the door behind him, slightly muffling the screeches. He had to move quickly before the fire started to spread and before he could chicken out. Making his way down the hallway, Josh began reciting the Lord's Prayer.

"Our father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name."

In the closet, Josh retrieved the 9mm pistol he'd bought a few weeks ago. He could hear Tyler still screaming.

"Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven."

He'd been planning this for quite some time now, actually. Tyler deserved to be happy, and so did he. They deserved to be happy together. It was clear to Josh the only way that would be possible was in the after-life, whatever that may be.

"Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Josh was shaking so bad he could hardly load the single bullet that he kept in his pocket, but he managed.

"Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory..."

Inhaling shakily, Josh shut his eyes and rested the barrel of the gun between his eyes.

"...for ever, and ever. Amen."