5. Denial

denial
[dih-nahy-uh l]
noun
refusal to recognize or acknowledge.

"Who the fuck is this and why is he asking if you made it home safely?"

Tyler just wanted to run away, but he couldn't, he was stuck under Josh.

"I-It's my friend! Let me go!"

"Your friend?" Josh was seething, his jaw clenched tightly. His elbow was pushing on Tyler's chest so hard now that the boy could barely breathe.

Tyler watched Josh's thumbs pound against the screen. "What're you doing?" he choked out, his voice croaking from the pressure on his chest.

"Nothing," Josh spoke with venom, it made Tyler even more scared.

"Please J-Josh you're really hurting me..."

Josh removed his elbow but grabbed Tyler by the front of his shirt instead. He tossed his phone somewhere on the ground and leaned in real close, making Tyler feel threatened.

"You left the house." It was a statement, not a question.

Tyler didn't bother lying. He nodded his head.

"Fuck you!" Josh screamed in Tyler's face, shaking him by the front of his shirt.

"I-I didn't cheat o-on you Josh... I-I love you!"

Josh responded with a single hard smack across Tyler's face, making the boy cry out. Josh was shaking, Tyler was crying.

"Tyler.. I didn't-"

"Don't talk to me! Don't touch me!" Tyler yelled, finding the strength in him to push Josh away.

Josh looked worried, his usually squinty eyes now wide. Tyler picked his phone up off the ground and read what Josh had texted Brendon.

Tyty: Who the fuck are you? Why are you texting Tyler? Leave him alone.

Beebs: Woah I'm his friend? Is this Josh?

"I hate you!" Tyler yelled, suddenly.

"Tyler, I didn't mean to..."

"Don't talk to me!" Tyler dialed Brandon's number with shaking hands.

"Hello?"

"Brendon?" Tyler couldn't stop his voice from cracking.

"Ty? Are you okay?"

"N-No... Can you pick me up?"

"Where are you going?" Josh butted in, his hands running through his pink hair.

"I'm leaving you," Tyler told him.

"What was that?" Brendon asked.

"Nothing, can you pick me up. Please?"

"No you're not! You're not leaving!" Josh yelled, looking like he was struggling for air. Tyler didn't fucking care.

"Yes I am! Get here soon, Bren. I'll be waiting outside."

Tyler hung up and anxiously looked at Josh, who was totally freaking out. He was pale white, hands grabbing his hair like he was going to rip it out. Tyler sighed. Okay, he actually did care. The stinging sensation on his cheek made his heart ache, a constant reminder of what had just happened. Josh hit him. Josh broke his promise.

But seeing Josh this way, freaking out, breaking down, made Tyler feel bad. He couldn't leave Josh forever, he'd miss him too much. Josh obviously didn't want him to leave, either, considering he was having a full on panic attack.