14

(angst because I'm sad, which is a valid reason to write angst in my life.)
(I'm sorry lmao)

He didn't smile. He rarely laughed, and even then it'd be a short chuckle, or a bitter laugh.

Nothing joyful rested in his chuckles, if you somehow achieved that from him.

But he had smile lines, so he had to have smiled before. Before whatever ruined him came along and flicked the happy expression away.

Despite all of these facts, Sebastian's voice didn't drip with sadness. His voice would boom with anger, or sometimes shake with fear. And on some occasions, his voice would sing with happiness, or some form of said emotion.

Jim never asked what happened to make Sebastian stop smiling, or what happened to make laughter rare. He knew he wouldn't get an answer.

He didn't want to know either. If someone ripped his sniper's happiness away, Jim knew he'd find and send hell to whoever it was.

Just the thought of someone hurting Sebastian this deeply made his blood boil..

Despite knowing it'd be a challenge to make Sebastian laugh or smile, Jim made that challenge a life goal. He wasn't dying until he saw Sebastian's smile or hear his laugh.

Sebastian knew his boss was trying to make him laugh or smile. He'd get close to making it happen but...part of him was too stubborn to reflect any sort of joy on his face.

Jim never stopped trying.

Until one day, he finally completed his goal.

***

"We're getting out of here, Bastian." Jim mumbled, trying to lift Sebastian up so they could leave the burning building. The blonde shook his head, taking a shakey breath.

"My leg. Its probably broken."

"I'll carry you then. Don't think for one second I'm leaving this hellhole without you, git!" Jim hissed, now just lifting Sebastian carefully up.

"I'll slow you down!" Sebastian shook his head. "Your life-"

"Don't finish that sentence." Jim sighed, slowly making his way to a nearby shattered window.

"Its tru-"

Jim shot him a look that made him shut his mouth. Sebastian sighed, resting his head against Jim's shoulder.

"Sorry, boss."

"You've saved my life countless times, its about damn time I did the same." Jim shrugged a little, making sure Sebastian was the first out of the window before following, wincing when small shards cut his face and back.

Sebastian leaned heavily against Jim as they made their escape, both suddenly becoming thankful they got stuck on the first floor.

***

Jim took care of Sebastian's broken leg, staring at him with a serious expression.

"Do you really think my life is more important than yours?"

Sebastian looked away before nodding.

"Why?"

"I...I don't know. Because you have a better chance of doing something important?" Sebastian shrugged a little.

Even he didn't know why he thought that way.

"Sebby," Jim's voice lost the serious edge to it, becoming a gentle purr now, "your life matters a lot to me."

Sebastian looked at him, trying to figure out what he meant. "Is this your way of saying 'I love you'?"

Jim nodded.

His nod finally made his goal come true.

A gentle, smile suddenly formed on Sebastian's face, making his eyes sparkle dazzlingly. Jim nearly gasped in surprise at the sight.

Sebastian carefully leaned over, pressing a light kiss against Jim's forehead, letting his lips linger for a moment.

When he pulled back, the smile was still there. The perfect smile.

"I love you too."

Jim smiled brightly, lightly kissing the sniper's lips.

His heart nearly burst from pure happiness when he felt Sebastian's lips curl into a wider smile before kissing back.

A/n: I was gonna give this a more angst ending but my mood got better.