Chapter 31 Congratulations

Rialoves2cook: I have no fancy meals for you, tonight. Instead, I'm sending huge congratulations to my amazing cousin, Sunshine, and her partner, Daniel, who are welcoming a beautiful baby into their lives next year. Hope you like our video :)

#cantwaittomeetbaby #goingtobeanauntie #missyouxamillion

Posted November 10th, 1:20 AM

YourOnlySunshine: Aw girl, I miss you a million more and love those pictures! I am so psyched to have your super auntie powers and that you're out living your best life. Send Shannon and Peter my best! Can't wait to see the video when you guys sober up enough to send it to us :P

Dantheman: Thanks, Maria!

***

En route to Chet's, Maria tried to match Mitch's long strides. She trembled with different energies: fear of the finality of her words to Adrian, the strange vibes Mitch evoked, and the excitement of celebrating her cousin's journey to motherhood.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, leading her down another alley.

"Okay."

Mitch's pace slowed to match hers. "Really?"

His gaze stayed on her long enough that she sighed. "I'm afraid if I think about him, I won't stop. Tonight is about Sunshine's news, not mine."

"You broke it off for good not even twenty minutes ago. It's okay to think about it."

She looked into his wide blue eyes—more calming and inviting than Adrian's ever were—before averting her gaze to the ground. Where had this sympathetic Mitch come from, and why had he given her a hard time last week? It was like he was two different people.

"If you talk, I'll listen," he said.

She bit her lip. What did she have left to lose? "He hasn't changed, still blaming me for his choices. Though, if I hadn't cut him off—"

"You were clear. He's the one with issues, not you."

"Do you think he'd change?"

"Do you want to be with someone who needs such a strong wake-up call to be a decent human being?"

That was a great question. After the lies and accusations, she could say no with certainty. It was time to move on and succeed in Thailand. "Thanks, Mitch."

He raised an eyebrow. "For what?"

Maria shrugged and sidestepped large potted plants. "For being here."

For a moment, he met her gaze then looked away. "Booze, snacks and honest opinions are my specialties."

A few quiet streets later, they arrived at a metal-roofed restaurant with bamboo half walls, tied up curtains, and vegetation everywhere. Fried shrimp sizzled in the oversized wok in the corner. Tom, Shawn, Becca and other foreign teachers were deep in discussion at the long wooden tables. Maria and Tom eyed each other before he smiled and inclined his head to the seat beside him. The action attracted Becca and Shawn's attention.

"Oy slowpoke! Finished getting your beauty rest?" Becca teased Mitch.

Sweeping in, he squeezed her around the waist and drew closer to exchange whispered words. Relieved she hadn't accepted his advances, Maria averted her eyes and sat next to Tom.

While it was a stretch to call this a bar, Maria enjoyed how, despite the open-nature of the restaurant, it resembled a large hut. The surrounding plants created an island of greenery in the concrete ocean. She understood why Sunshine liked this place.