Chapter 34: Tartarus

"What is this place?" This is what I thought hell would look like, could this be the place Lucifer was talking about? There was nothing but rocks and fire around us. Up ahead there was a building, the only normal looking thing in this place.

"This is what we call Tartarus. Also known as my place of business, that building over there is where the magic happens." He waved his hands as if he were performing a magic trick.

I rolled my eyes as I followed him to the building. It wasn't extravagant like I thought it'd be for someone like Thanatos, high maintenance. It was only one story with four windows? "This place looks like a prison."

He snorted. "That's because it is." He pushed the door to the building open. For a second, I was blinded by white light. Unconsciously I had gotten used to the light from the flames. So my eyes needed to once again adjust to normal lightening.

"What!?"

"Thanatos! So glad to see you again!" A supermodel like woman walked up to him. She was tall with curves of a goddess, maybe that's what she was. Her hair was platinum blonde flowing freely down her back. She had a tight knit skirt on with a casual white blouse. I watched as she wrapped her arms tightly around Thanatos neck, embracing him. "It's been dreadful down here without your presence."

"I bet it has, but I'm not here to work. Isabel is." He reached back for me, pulling me forward to stand next to him. The supermodel didn't even spare me a glance. How rude. "You are dismissed early, I can handle things from here. Take the other employees with you."

"I don't mind staying to help. You know if there's anything you need, anything at all, I'm here." She batted her eyelashes at him. Who was this chick? Was she just his employee or has she been something more? Either way she's crossing a line she shouldn't and neither I nor the phoenix is happy about it. The heat I was starting to feel was a dead giveaway. 

"What he needs is for you to leave." I crossed my arms glaring at her.

She finally took her eyes off Thanatos to look at me. "Excuse me? Who do you think you are?"

I sighed like the conversation was boring me, which it was if I'm being honest. I wasn't expecting to deal with one of Thanatos groupies today. "Hi I'm Isabel, also known as Thanatos girlfriend and the chick that keeps his bed warm every night. Who may you be? No wait let me guess. A one-night stand that wants to be his girlfriend. Too bad that position is filled." I shrugged giving her an innocent smile.

I could see the storm brewing behind her eyes. It was clear she's never been talked down to before. Thanatos cleared his throat before she could say anything. "That's enough Stacy, I said leave and I'm not going to repeat myself again." He stated firmly. So, her name was Stacy? She glared at me for another few seconds, before spinning on her heels and leaving. "You keep my bed warm huh?"

I looked up at Thanatos as he smirked down at me. "Yeah because I put your sheets in the dryer, I don't know what else you could possibly think I meant by that." I gave him a huge smile.

He shook his head once again dragging me alone. "There's only two rules I have down here. Even though I gave you my powers it's sill very dangerous for you. First, don't talk to anyone down here unless I say so. Second, stay by my side at all times." He told me seriously.

"Ok but didn't you send everyone home? Who would I talk to?" I was confused, he sent all his employees home. Who else could be down here? Then I remember him saying this was a prison. "Wait is this really a prison? For who?"

"Lost souls."

"What's that?"

He stopped walking, turning around to face me. "Sometimes there are people too damaged and evil for even hell. Those souls are placed here." My eyes widened. How can you be too evil for hell!? And did I want to meet those people? "As long as you have the scythe though you are safe."