LXXXVI

Lucy walked along the steps leading to the castle, a blank expression on her face as her face was dried with the tears that she had shed. Masud held her hand, all but glad that she had returned rather than stayed, even if it had pained her. The fact that she remembered Masrur and held him in her heart was enough for the young child. Making their way to the top of the stairs, they saw Masrur standing there without his cape, an anxious and fearful look in his eyes.

Upon seeing the first glimpse of her blonde hair, he immediately widened his eyes and ran down the steps to greet her. Masud saw him and letting go of Lucy's hand, he ran towards Masrur.

"Did you go with Lucy?" Masrur asked.

"Mn," Masud nodded his head and smiled. "Lucy-san's fine."

Masrur breathed a sigh of relief and saw Lucy at the edge of the steps, looking at him with a dazed look in her eyes. With her honey-chocolate orbs, she stared straight at him and Masrur just stood there, staring back. She slowly walked towards him, each step causing her dress to trail behind her. Masrur's face scrunched up with emotion as he quickly walked towards her and put his arms around her, holding her close.

"Lucy, you're back," he said, holding her close as his voice expressed all the feelings that had been pent up in him. "I thought you would never come back."

Lucy stood there in his arms as a tear ran down her face. All this time, he knew that she had feelings for Kouen but he never stopped her from leaving. He loved her and lived with that fear of her never coming back and this time, he truly thought that she would never come back. Realizing how much she had put him through, another tear streamed down as she held her hands up to his back and hugged him, her small hands clutching at his firm, broad back.

"I won't ever leave you, Masrur. I won't ever and this I promise you," she said, tears rolling down her face. "In this life or the next, I definitely won't leave you."

He clutched her tighter to the point where it almost hurt but she didn't mind. For Masrur, she was willing to do anything and in that way, it could be said that she loved him. He had given her so much that in this life, she probably won't ever have the chance of repaying him. She softened her eyes and smiled, continuing to hold him back.

"Lucy," he said. "Don't ever leave me."

"Mn," she closed her eyes. "I won't."

Silence ensued before he finally spoke up again. "...I love you."

Lucy widened her eyes but soon smiled again, closing her eyes. "Yeah," she continued to hold him. "I know."

Tears rolled down his face and for Masud, it was the first time that he had seen Masrur cry. He looked at the two in wonder as they held in each other's arm, having no intention of letting go. Their feelings were mutual but having then reminded himself of Kouen, his smile faltered and Masud looked at them with a blank face, not knowing whether to show happiness or sadness. He knew that Lucy loved Kouen for she had admitted it and the emotions she expressed were real but now, she was in Masrur's arms and accepting him which made him wonder what she thought of Kouen for he knew Lucy. She wasn't the type to forget about someone so easily. Masud was a child who didn't know what exactly what love is and looking at the three's relationship right now, he wondered who exactly loved who. If love was such a complex emotion and one that brought about sadness, he wished that he would never have to experience it.

The two stood there underneath the stars as the moon softly illuminated their figures. Lucy opened her eyes as she held Masrur, a firm yet solemn resolution in her eyes.

I'll forever be by you, Masrur.

She held him as the seconds and minutes passed with each ticking of the clock, the two of them enshrouded in silence. Masud returned back to his room as Masrur held Lucy in his arms, walking up the steps and back to their chambers. The two sat on the edge of Masrur's bed and Masrur held her hand while the other ran over her face. He stared at her and looked into her eyes and she stared back at him.