XLIX

Kouen had confessed his feelings for Lucy and though he was not answered with a clear reply, he didn't mind it. There was no change in the two's relationship but if anything, he was glad that Lucy had become more aware of him not as a childhood friend but as a male of the opposite gender. The surrounding people realized a slight change between the two but with the impending war, none really took great notice of it. Masrur was the first to notice among them for he was the closest to Lucy and understood her even better than she herself did. If Lucy was happy, then that was it and he wouldn't question anything.

For Lucy, there wasn't much for her to do along the line of preparations for the role that was given to her was to act as reinforcement for everyone; in the same way that Scheherazade was acting as. But even then, Lucy had her own plans on how to act. The others had seen what she could do with her metal vessel and that was life magic which they already knew she had control over. The thing they didn't know was that Lucy had confirmed it; she confirmed the fact that she had the power over all the other eight types of magic. She secretly practiced it and the only people who knew were Kouen, Masrur, and Aladdin.

They were one day away from war and the final preparations had been made. Sinbad, Kouen, and the other leaders and representatives of their countries had been looking over the final plans just the day before and now, they sat within their chambers resting as they waited for the day to come. The soldiers were also resting within their own quarters, getting ready to face the incoming war.

Lucy leaned against the window pane as she sat on the window seat against propped up pillows. Her white gown flowed down onto the floor as her long, silky blonde hair settled down on the floor in neat piles. Kouen sat in his office chair, reading over the final documents, his head propped up on his hand as his eyebrows were furrowed together as usual.

"I wonder why the Garanda Empire suddenly decided to attack all three empires," she murmured to herself.

Kouen perked up and set his scrolls down. "Are you worried?"

"It's unsettling," she answered and turned to him. "Don't you think so?"

Her expression was calm and stoic but her lips were pulled into a slight frown as her eyes wavered with anxiety and caution. He stood up and walked over to her, taking a seat on the window seat opposite her. He looked out the window, the forest that Lucy had brought back to life still standing proudly. Propping his leg up, he placed his arm on top and covered his mouth as he looked into the distance.

"You're right. It is quite unsettling," he said. "For such a small empire to suddenly attack the three largest empires of this time...one can only imagine what's going on through their head and where they got that reassurance from."

"We mentioned this during the very first meeting as well," Lucy said.

"The possibility of a secret weapon, huh?" he pondered over that fact. "Is it still getting to you?"

She closed her eyes and gave a small sigh. "It's hard not to think about it. Sindria and the forces of the Seven Seas Alliance alone should be enough to handle the Garanda Empire. This war should be but a small-scale war."

"It might not turn out to be one," Kouen understood her thoughts.

"There'll be major losses if what we're expecting has exceeded what we planned for," she said, clenching her hands. "I don't want anything to change. I don't want to lose anyone. I don't want to lose you."

"Lucy..." he widened his eyes.

Taking her hand in his, he stared at her with firm, resolute eyes. Lucy stared back and he clenched them tightly yet with gentleness, reassuring her that everything was going to be fine. His crimson red eyes radiated with confidence, believing in the fact that everything will be all right.