Sister Spooked

@theweirdosdrawings

It all started because of a dare. A stupid dare that James took because of a stupid societal pressure.

They—his friends, that is—thought that his feminine charm needed to be fixed, so they'd given him a chance to 'prove himself.' The thought brought a shaky scoff from James now; he didn't need to prove anything.

So why was he in the haunted house on Holly Avenue? It wasn't even around Halloween. Why was he doing this?

But he'd come to his senses too late. He turned and took a step back toward the gate that led back to the outside world, away from this creepy house. The gate squeaked as it swung shut and he heard a click.

James shuddered and turned back to the house. He could just go in and get the gate key and leave. Simple. In and out.

He ran an anxious hand through his black hair, fingers brushing the shaved sides before running through the quiff-like hair at the top.

And so he went in, catching a reflection of his face in a broken mirror. His face was covered in natural looking but gorgeous makeup, yet he could see the fear there as well on his youthful face. He was only 19 after all.

He shook the thought, taking a few more steps into the house and tensing as he heard a floorboard creak.

"Hello?" He called out.

Nothing.

Of course there wasn't anything. He was being paranoid.

He started walking again, hearing the boards creak once more. He rolled his eyes slightly. He was freaking out about nothing; the boards were just old.

At least, that's what he thought until he stopped with a cry, something falling in front of him. Heart beating quickly, James looked at the object that had fallen with a clatter.

It was a knife.

"What the hell?" He breathed to himself, glancing up. He saw a glimpse of movement in the darkness, but not much more.

Alright then, he thought, this is crazy.

So he turned on his heel and headed back for the front door. He pulled on the knob, but nothing happened. Damn.

It was jammed.

He let out another shaky breath and shook his head slightly, pulling out his phone. Might as well record it.

"Hi sisters! I'm here at the house on Holly Avenue on a dare and I figured that I'd record it because I'm sister spooked." He gave the phone camera a charming smile and a couple of blinks. "We love a sister scare."

He rotated the camera, pointing it down the hall. He gave commentary as he walked, jumping and gasping at every small scare.

Everything was a normal, haunted house.

Until it wasn't.

James heard frantic breaths and quickly looked around for the source. He turned the camera function off abruptly to turn his flashlight on. He pointed it toward the corner and nearly dropped the phone in shock.

There, on the floor, was a tiny person. A tiny person frozen like a deer in headlights.

James came closer and dropped to a squat in front of the minuscule creature. He missed the way those little eyes widened in panic and desperately searched for an escape.

"What are you?"

His voice startled the little thing into bolting off. Or trying to, at least. James blocked his desperate dash with his hand, eliciting a cry from the small person.

He lifted the being into the air and closer to his face. He felt extremely thing limbs squirming against his hand and his gaze softened.

"It's okay, calm down." He said softly, observing the being in his palm. Brown hair similar to his own and little eyes reflecting fear.

"I won't hurt you," James started, using a manicured finger to brush the hair out of the small man's face. "But are you the one that threw a knife at me?"

"I-I didn't throw it!" A voice piped up from the borrower in his hand. "I..I dropped it from the curling but I swear it was only to scare you and it wasn't a real one anyway—"

"Hey, too much. I told you not to worry." James gave him a small smile as he stood, feeling the little guy grasp his fingers.

"What are you doing!?" He sounded scared.

"Taking you home. It's better than here, right?" James flashed a small smile. "What's your name, by the way?"

"Um, Ian."

~•~

"Hi sisters! We're back for another—" James made a clicking noise in the back of his throat. "Look. And today I'm joined by Sister Ian."

"Brother Ian." The borrower grumbled from his perch on James' shoulder.

"Sister Ian." James smiled tightly, yet teasingly, as he continued. "We're not doing this again."

796 Words!

I'm trying to catch up with all the requests lol...

Sorry that it's kinda short, but I haven't had much time haha...

It's also unedited so sorry about any mistakes

Hope you enjoyed!

~Em~