Hide and Seek | 2

Tyler just stared at you. Was he waiting for an answer? What would you even say, anyway?

'Oh hey, yeah you're right, my eyes are open' Just didn't seem like the right thing to say. It was too sarcastic and snappy for such a fragile situation. You were already going to die; at least this way, he might do it quickly.

You tried to stand, thinking that maybe you could try to make one last mad dash to escape, even as a sharp pain shot through your leg from your ankle. You didn't even get the chance.

Your breath was forced from your lungs and your back slammed back into the surface you were on—wood. Maybe a desk? You weren't sure why it mattered, especially since you were going to die soon.

Hopefully he wouldn't torture you first.

Your focus shifted to whatever had forced you into your back, and what was currently making it difficult to breathe and move at all. Your heart sank at the sight. It was a finger. His pointer finger alone outmatched you.

"Didn't think you'd try to run," Tyler commented, his voice washing over you. He didn't seem to care about the tears racing down your cheeks. Or maybe he simply didn't notice, but that was doubtful. You pushed weakly against the thick digit. "Is my finger really enough to stop you?"

His eyes almost looked.. amused? Great, he was taking pleasure in your struggles. That was always such a great sign.

You managed to hit his finger a few times, one of the times making him flinch. Apparently, that part was sensitive. A smirk appeared on your face but disappeared as quickly as it had arrived.

His eyes flashed and your eyes widened as the pressure on your chest increased. You pushed against it helplessly for a moment, but you realized the futility of it. Then you fell limp. You wondered absently if he could feel your heart slamming against your rib cage, each time feeling like it was going to succeed in escaping—something you had failed to do.

"P-please," Your voice was hoarse and you internally cringed at how pathetic it sounded. A bit of hope sparked in your chest as his gaze focused on you, but it was as infinitesimal as you. "J-just let m-me go."

Your hopes were steadily on the rise as the pressure was removed from your chest. You swallowed nervously as his mouth opened to respond. You could only that he'd say that you could leave. That he meant it. That he—

"No."

The one worded response shattered the hopes you had felt bubbling within you. You cried out as fingers wrapped around you, the leathery surface brushing against your injured ankle, which elicited another cry—this time one of agony. He said something else, but you were too immersed in your bubble of self-pity to make anything coherent out of the rumbling noise.

Your struggles ceased as soon as they began. Your feet left the ground, though it felt as if your stomach had remained there. Your shoulders slumped in defeat and your head fell forward onto his knuckles. A gut-wrenching sob escaped you; you couldn't hold it back anymore.

He turned you this way and that in his grip, even sideways to see every inch of you. Your stomach flipped and another sob escaped you as you were turned back upright.

You flinched as a finger hooked under your chin and forced you to look up at your captor's face. You were shocked to see that the curly-haired brunet's eyes held what looked like guilt. You caught sight of his other hand moving towards you and squeezed your eyes shut, feeling more tears slip down your cheek.

A whimper escaped you as gleich brushed gently against your right cheek, wiping the tears away before doing the same on the left.

"W-what..?" You opened your eyes, confused at how gentle the predator was being. The predator studied you for a few moments before loosening his grip with a sigh and shifting you so that you were sitting in his palm. You swallowed thickly, scooting back against his curled fingers as he leaned in closer, your eyes wide with fear. You pulled your injured ankle close uncertainly—for all the good that would do.

"Don't be afraid," Tyler's voice washed over you, startling you with how different it was compared to the stone-cold quality it had held before. It was soft and gentle and unlike anything you had expected. It was what you'd hoped for, certainly, but that only made it more likely that this was just another sick joke. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"Bullshit." It was out of your mouth before you could stop it and your eyes widened as you realized what you had done.

But instead of getting angry at you, crushing you, or at least punishing you in some way, something else happened.

He laughed. He laughed.

His gaze studied you for a few more moments before a small sigh escaped him.

"You really think I'm some ruthless predator, don't you?" It was a rhetorical question, but you nodded anyway after a moment's hesitation. At this point, it didn't seem like it would matter what you said. Regardless, you felt compunction at the hurt you saw in his brown eyes. "I'm not going to hurt you."

His attempt to reassure you only made you remember Mark. It was the exact same words that he had used before...

Anyway, you figured you explain, maybe just try to believe him.

"M-Mark said.. he s-said.." Your voice wavered as you trembled, and you had no doubt that he could feel you shaking in his palm. "H-He said the—the same th-thing."

"Well he didn't hurt you," Tyler pointed out before his brows knitted themselves together in a concerned frown. "Did he?"

You thought about it and then shook your head slowly with a wary glance at the predator before turning your gaze to you ankle. "B-But I got hurt b-because of him."

Tyler fixed you with a look that you couldn't quite read as he lowered his hand to the desk you had been on before. You stumbled off of his palm with a gasp and cradled your ankle. His eyes landed on it, and he stood up from the desk to his full height, towering over you even from the desk.

"Stay here," He instructed before walking out of the room.

You briefly considered running, but you didn't think you'd make it far. Besides, if he was being truthful, you didn't want to make the mistake of getting on his bad side. You didn't want him to change his mind.

He returned with a white box. A red cross adorned the top of it and it made a popping noise as he opened it. You eyed it with an equal mix of wariness, confusion, and curiosity. He pulled out gauze and unraveled some of it. He clipped off a portion and neared you with it. You instinctively shied back.

"I'm just trying to help," He said softly, his breath washing over you and ruffling your hair. He gestured for you to extend your leg so he could see it and you hesitantly complied. You sucked in a sharp breath as his finger brushed the bruised ankle. He tutted and wrapped the ankle in the gauze, muttering an apology every time you winced.

So you decided to trust him.

Maybe you wouldn't regret it.

1266 Words!

Maybe one day I'll write an amazing ending but I don't think it's today 😂

Anyway~ Thanks for reading!

I wanted to write this and post it sooner but every time I went into Werdsmith I got this like.. empty feeling I guess??

So sorry it took a bit longer, but I hope it was worth the wait

~Em~