Acrophobia

@lolgirl98

"Mom, please!" Kyle sobbed as he gripped the slack body of his mother by the shoulders. He laid her head in his lap, shaking her shoulders with a frantic yet gentle energy. Her once-piercing-blue eyes fluttered open and chills raced down his spine despite the humid summer night.

They were dull and Kyle swore he could see the life draining from them. "Kyle..."

Kyle felt tears slide down his cheek, though he barely registered. It felt so surreal. It had to be a dream. Please, God, let him be dreaming.

"I'm here, mom, I'm here," He whispered, his voice cracking. "It's going to be okay. I'm promise."

He was surprised to hear his mother laugh softly. "Oh, baby, that's just like you. Don't—"

Kyle furrowed his brows, concerned when she coughed weakly. His eyes widened as her eyes started to close.

"Mom, please, I'm so scared. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...to..."

Tears fell quickly as she fell limp, uttering her final words. His eyes widened and he barely registered her words as the truth set in.

His mother was dead.

He killed his mother.

His hand were sticky. Kyle looked at them and cried out in horror. It was blood. Her blood.

And—

"Hey, kid, you alright?"

Kyle looked around in confusion before his gaze locked onto the source, a man with a salt and pepper beard. The bus driver.

He nodded wordlessly, zoning back in to the present. Thinking about the past like that wouldn't help.

He stood up and thanked the bus driver, offering his payment for the ride. The bus driver shook his head and Kyle hesitantly got off, waving as the bus drove away.

He pulled his hoodie closer to himself, shifting the backpack on his shoulders as he began to walk. He was hot as hell, but the hoodie hid his skinny frame and kept people from messing with him.

Kyle didn't know how long he walked before he reached the forest his mother had spoken about in her final breath.

"Hello?" He called out as he entered a clearing, stopping on the shade the leaves overhead cast on him.

Chirping birds answered him and he sighed. Why did he take her seriously? The blood-loss had probably gotten to her.

There was no way Giants existed. That was insane. But it was the only thing he has to go off of when his mother died in his arms.

He felt the ground tremor and noticed that the forest had fallen silent. Unease trickled down his back as he looked around.

"He...Hello?" His lip quivered as a shadow fell over him, a dreadful sense of regret washing over him as the quaking stopped.

Kyle forced himself to turn around, stomach pooling with fear as the sight of a massive gloved hand reaching for him. He shrieked as he spun around, sprinting as fast as he could.

"No!" He cried out as his feet left the ground, his stomach remaining there and his head pressing into his chest from the g-force as he was lifted into the air.

He twisted and turned, trying to fight his way out of the hold on his backpack, pinched between gloved fingers. He heard hushed words that he didn't register as he slipped out of the backpack straps, crying out as air whipped past him.

He hit the ground and felt pain explode in his side as his vision darkened.

And then blackness consumed him.

~•~_~•~

"...found it in the forest near the portal...no, it's unconscious...can't tell if...sure..."

Kyle groaned as he began to regain consciousness. He caught pieces of the conversation as it passed, freezing as he realized that the conversation had stopped.

"Call you back."

Kyle sat up quickly, wincing at the pain that caused in his right side. He backpedaled quickly as the giant being cane closer, whimpering as his back met the wall.

"Please, stay away from me," Kyle pleaded, surprised when the being obeyed, stopping in his place. He watched the giant warily, seeing how those concerned yellow eyes watched his every movement.

Red hair covered one of them as it fell back into the giant's face. It looked like a man, maybe a teen like him based on the youthful look in the face. Dark skin covered the being and he wore clothes that reminded Kyle of a medieval movie: leather gloves and shoes, a fur coat, and... a crown.

Was he royalty? Shit, if this giant ruled the.. wherever he was...he couldn't afford to piss it off.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to intrude or anything I'll leave but my mom just said something about Giants that she knew and I thought she was crazy and—"

"Woah, hey, calm down," the giant cut off his ramblings with a murmur, moving closer to Kyle and making him shy away. "You don't have to be afraid, little human."

Kyle froze as he stared into the eyes above him, nodding hesitantly. "Where...um, where am I, Sir?" He asked softly.

"Arcacia."

"Arcacia?"

"Yes, Arcacia," The giant seemed a bit amuse as he explained the realm. "A realm of magic and what humans consider to be myth."

"Oh."

"And...Kyle, you can just call me Ty."

Kyle tensed up. "How do you know my name? I never told you."

A thunderous chuckle answered him. "You mentioned your mother. We've only assisted one female human in recent times, so I figured you must be Amelia's son. She came here not long after you were born and told us all about you. She was so brave... she threatened my mother of all people."

Ty smiled as he spoke, making Kyle smile despite the pain he felt at hearing his mother's name.

"How is Amelia now? Did she send you?"

"She...She's..." Kyle's lip trembled as tears spilled over. "She dead. It's my fault."

Ty let him cry, assuring Kyle that they would get through it. And they did as time passed.

Months later, Kyle found himself living with the Giants, though it still terrified him every time he was carried anywhere.

He was close with Ty—practically brothers. They were making additions to his room soon so he could get everywhere with stairs and ladders.

Maybe he'd get over his fear of heights like he'd gotten past his mother's death.

1075 Words!

This started out great but I tho k it went downhill lol

Sorry but hope you enjoyed

~Em~