Hide and Seek

Suggested by @McKashi1300

Running. Running like hell. Tears carved a warm and salty canal down your face. All you could think about was running. There were predators after you, who decided that it was a good idea to play a game of hide and seek. Oh, and yes. Predators. Like as in more than one? Yeah, 4 actually.

Your lungs burned. Your chest ached. Your legs (mainly your calves) were on fire... Suffice to say, everything hurt. You were beginning to wonder why you were still running.

And then a hand slammed down in front of you.

Right, the predators. You didn't even look to see which one this one was. You simply let out a yelp of startled fear and scrambled to run the other way, nearly slipping and ending it right there. But that bought you a few more seconds until the hand came back.

A cry of alarm escaped you and you began to dodge the hand more frequently. Before you knew it, you were in a corner. The predator was smart, and they had forced you into a corner, knowing you would run from their hands. And if you didn't, they would have caught you sooner.

Either way, you lost the game.

Your back pressed into the wall as a hand approached you, wished you could just sink into it and disappear for forever. You screwed your eyes shut as a shadow fell over you, though you didn't have to wonder what would happen to you for long.

Your vision faded to black as you fell unconscious, crumbling to the floor like a broken toy.

~_~

You were just on another supply run. For the record, you knew it was stupid. There were so many predators in the house, presumably friends of the predator that already lived in the house. Also for the record, you knew that living with a predator was incredibly dangerous and stupid. And, though others might except one, you had no reason to stay in that house that made any sort of logical sense.

Anyway, it wouldn't be such a thrilling story if your little supply run went smoothly. You were on the counter, in the open. You were just trying to get more food. But of course, fate had other plans. The light flipped on, illuminating you—the poor borrower on the counter.

A deep voice rumbled, humming in thought. He had raven black hair and almond eyes, his tanned skin and facial features hinting toward Asian heritage.

"I thought I smelled a borrower," His voice rumbled over you. You wanted to run, but your legs wouldn't listen. Even as his steps shook the counter underneath your feet, even as his shadow fell over you, even as his massive hand reached for you, your legs wouldn't comply with your wishes to flee.

Your voice failed you. You couldn't even plead. All that came out was a low whine of fear. That didn't stop the hand from closing around you.

Long and thick fingers encircled you like snakes before securing themselves around you. You pushed as hard as you could against the tanned skin, but he didn't seem to notice. Or, if he did, he simply didn't care.

The latter was more likely, you supposed as you were pulled into the air effortlessly, your feet leaving the ground and your stomach remaining on the counter. Your fearful eyes looked up at the predator holding you and you struggled again in the hold. His rumbling voice stopped you, making you freeze up.

"Hey, shh. It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." His breath washed over you. You took a moment to consider his words, his assurances. His gentle grip lent credence as you slowly returned you gaze to meet his. "There you go. You're safe."

Every instinct in you said otherwise. He was a predator and you know what they did to your kind. What he'd do to you.

But the smile he was offering looked so genuine and gentle, so you accepted it. You felt a strange sense of relief fill you before you offered your own smile back—shaky as it may be.