7. Yup, I'm Dead

"Check the RV!"

"Why would she be in there?"

"Let's check the quarry again."

"I'm telling you she's not down there."

Is this what I'm gonna wake up to everyday. I groan and sit up slowly. Looking around I see Glenn still asleep. I quietly get up and fold my blankets, and work up the courage to go outside, and face everybody. Shane is already on me about everything he can be.

    Well, might as well get it over with, how bad can it be. I don't think Shane would hit me, but I am in for a good tongue lashing. Maybe if I wait for Glenn to wake up he will back me up. They are still fighting, when I hear Dale,

"what's the problem?" Shane answers.

"we think Mason ran off with that dog of hers."

"What? No, she didn't she's in the RV with Glenn."

Oh thanks Dale, If Shane comes in and finds me awake I am in for it, I don't think he'll beat me, but I just don't know what He'd do especially when he's angry. I open the RV door, and everything goes silent.

I see Lori looking at me relieved, and Shane looking at me with a mixture of relief and anger, but mostly anger. When he takes a few dangerous steps towards me I flinch back, and Apollo growls. Luckily, he stops, and gets down to my level, and says in a low voice so only I could hear him, and maybe Lori.

"we need to talk," I hesitate.

"Now"

He basically growls. I internally cringe, but I can't show him I'm afraid of him.

"Ok,"

I was gonna give him a smart remark, but I figure I'm in enough trouble as is.

"keep your dog in the RV, he'll be fine till we get back."

Yup, I'm a goner.

He starts walking towards the woods with me following, and stops when we were out of sight of the others, I make sure I am far enough away that if I need to, I can make a break for it.

    When he turns around he looks scarier than I've ever seen him. He puts his hands on his hips and raises his eyebrows. I put my hands in my pockets so he can't see them shaking. I wanted to cry, but I will not show him any weakness.

"You want to tell me why you snuck off again without telling anybody?" He asks me trying to stay calm.

" I was with Glenn, and I..."

" I don't care if you were with the national guard, you don't ever just get up and walk off in the middle of the night! do you hear me?"

He yells getting louder. I can't help but take a small step backwards, but he just takes a bigger step towards me. I nod quickly before he comes any closer,

"I asked you a question and I expect an answer" he says sternly.

"Yes" I say quietly looking down. "Yes what?" I swallow hard,

"yes sir" I say through gritted teeth, it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

"That's better, and secondly did you threaten Carl with a knife?" He yells.

"I didn't technically threaten him, I just showed it to him," I defended, looking down.

It's quiet for a minute. I've experienced this before it's the calm before the storm. In a minute he's gonna pull off his belt, and I won't be moving for a while. I can't help it when tears slide down my cheeks. I quickly wipe them away so he won't see them.

He sighs loudly,

"little girl," he starts, making me feel ten times smaller, and even more scared.

" What is going through you're head? What would possess you to pull a knife on somebody? If you ever do that again I'll make sure you regret it do you understand me!" He yells.

I stay quiet, and tears are coming down fast.

"look at me!" He yells again.

I am shaking so bad, and trying not to hyperventilate, but I look up quickly. His face softening as he sees the tears. He kneels to my hight, and gently grabs my arms, I flinch back. He just hold a little tighter, but not enough to hurt me,

"Mason, you cannot do this, I don't care what somebody does, it's wrong. Please tell me you know it was wrong."

He says gently, but still firmly. I nod again, but he grabs my chin and makes me look at him.

"I didn't hear you." I take a breath,

"yeah, sorry." I say obviously not sorry.

"I'm not the one you need to apologize to."

He says sternly. I nod my head knowing what he's implying.

"Good girl, and I'm gonna need your knife, you can have it back when I think your responsible enough for it."

I sigh and reluctantly hand it over to him.

"one more thing." Oh, great here it comes I wipe off the tears, it's time to toughen up. he stands up. Instead what he says surprises me.

  "I think we should put everything in the past, and be friends. What do you think?"

I look at him funny.

    "Nah, I'd rather not. Besides, who else would you make listen to you?"

I say sassily, He rolls his eyes.

"you would think I didn't just chew your sorry tail out, get outa here." When I get a few feet away he calls out to me

"Mason, I mean it if I hear you've threatened anybody with a knife again, it it won't be pleasant. understood?" He says not mad anymore, but a little stern.

"Yeah, whatever,"

I reply with attitude. I hear him sigh dramatically, and I roll my eyes.

"Apologize to Carl. I'll ask him later if you did or not," he adds.

"Sir, yes sir." I reply with a salute.

"I mean it Mason!" I just smirk and keep walking.