14. Conditions & Compromises Well... Sorta

It's not even been an hour since I left Sophia, and I'm bored out of my mind. Lori and Shane are both looking for me. They thankfully haven't told anybody I was gone, that'd been embarrassing if they found me. I'm currently sitting in a tree trying not to be seen, and keeping an eye out for the Dixon brothers. It's kinda weird, they are the ones who nobody likes very much, yet I see them as a sort of security. I hate it but it's almost like I can't help it.

  I'm lost in my thoughts I almost miss it when I hear a branch snap. Immediately I'm quiet and still, I'm barely breathing.

"I shouldn't have been so hard on her. She looked terrified when I dragged her into the woods, I wasn't gonna hit her I swear."

Hmmm sure ya weren't, ya basically had your belt off already, I think irritatedly.

"Shane I know that and you know that, but she is a scared little girl with a shady background. If what you suspect is true she's used to being beaten and done who knows what else to. She was only acting on instinct. She'll come around, but we can't keep excusing her wandering off and behavior. she'll not make it if she keeps it up."

That's Lori for sure always wanting to be a big helper. I roll my eyes and keep listening.

"I know, and I am sure of it. When she ran away a few years back, and I questioned her she was scared. She put on a tough act, but under it all she was terrified. I haven't seen that look since two years ago."

He sound genuinely sorry, and he sighs.

"Shane..." Lori try's, but he cuts her off.

"No! don't tell me it's ok. I put that look in her eyes, not some drunken, abusive, sorry excuse for a father. I did. I'm a police officer, I'm supposed to make people like that feel safe. And now we have a little girl missing, because I put her into a panic."

He rubs his head and sighs. I'm thinking about coming down, but I still don't trust them. What if they know I'm here, and they're just trying to make me come down so they won't have to try to get me down themselves. I'm good right where I'm at till Daryl and Merle get back. Lori and Shane both start walking towards the quarry looking for me. And I'm alone once again.

It's starting to get dark, and I'm tired, but then I hear it. The sound of twigs snapping and a deep voice.

"I'm gonna go on that run. We could use a few things, ya know food, knives, maybe more arrows. The China man ain't gonna get us crap,"

Definitely Merle.

"By stuff, ya really mean drugs and beer?" Daryl scoffs.

"Now don't be like that baby brother. I'm keeping us alive and together, and all I ask is a little bit of the special treatment.

"Keepin me alive, my foot," he chuckles.

A sound I've never heard, and I like it. It's not as hard as Merle or daddy's, a bit rough but it fits him well. I'm not gonna jump down or call to them. that might scare them, and I don't want to get shot or stabbed or nothin. So I am gonna wait a minute.

    "Hey, you two seen Mason? We've been looking for her for hours. We hoped she found you and..."

Shane sounds frantic, but Merle cut him off.

"Wait... you lost her?" He says slowly.

"How she's like four?" Daryl says, and I reply before I can stop myself,

"Hey! I'm eight!" I clap my hand to my mouth and gasp as they all look up. Shane and Lori with a mixture of relief and confusion, Daryl and Merle with amusement.