51.Survivors Honor

"Wait how did you know his name?" He says crossing his arms, and getting the look in his eye that says he knows there's more to the story.
"Well...I... Carl told me."
"If I were you I'd think very carefully before I dug my grave any deeper," his voice gets low.
"How... did you know... his name?!" He says super sternly.
"I just listened, honest. I didn't talk to him. He didn't even see me," I try to reason, but he just looks angrier.
"So you went in the shed knowing very well that I said 'no'?" He yells.
"I...I guess so," I whisper. He grabs my arm and Gives me three sharp swats. I'm tearing up not cause it hurt, but because I knew he wasn't happy with me and that felt awful. He proceeds to lecture me, but I mostly zone it out because I get the jist of it.
      "Mason?!" Oops he asked me a question.
"What?"
"Are you listening?"
"No sir... I mean yes sir!"
"Go in the tent, and don't come out till I come and get you." I see him grab his crossbow, and leave. I go and lay down on the cot, and fall asleep feeling like I definitely let possibly the only person who has ever truly cared for me down.

(Daryl's POV)
I leave Masie feeling like an absolute jerk. I mean I know after she disobeyed me she deserved it, but now I know what she's been through. Kids like her see discipline way differently than a kid like Carl. I suspected last time, but now that I know it was just a dumb move. I thought the threat would be more than enough to keep her away from the shed. I'm never gonna do that again no matter what she does.

(Mason's POV)
     When Daryl gets back it's getting late. I avoid eye contact and walk out. He doesn't look at me but starts talking,
"We're going to a meeting at the house. You and Carl are waiting in the other room."
"Yes sir," I whisper.
"Mason... I'm sorry I did that, but please don't ever do something like what you did again.. after Merle... you're all I have kid." I feel like a burden is been lifted.
He starts off towards the house, and I follow.
I've never asked somebody if I could hold their hand. Lori took mine, but only because she asked. Well here it goes,
"Daryl"
"Hmm?"
"Can... can I hold your hand?" I say quietly.
"I don't see a problem with that." I put my small hand in his ginormous one. It feels weird his hand is sweaty, but mine is ice cold like always.
"Are you still angry with me?"
"I'm not thrilled, but I'm not angry. I don't think I could stay mad at ya, trust me I've tried." He jokes and I smile. I don't understand how, not even two hours ago he took me to task and now he's joking with me and holding my hand. I stop walking and start crying silently. He turns to me.
"Masie? What's wrong? Why are ya...?" He doesn't finish the sentence because I collide into his chest crying... no sobbing. He wraps his strong arms around me, and rocks me back and forth.
"Shhh... Masie, sweetheart what's the matter?" He coos in a soft voice I've never heard.
"Daryl..." I can't finish.
"Is... did I hurt you? Masie please are you okay?" He says urgently. I can't help but choke out a laugh. He thinks he hurt me, he obviously doesn't know what I've been through. He holds my head up and I can see the pain in his eyes.
"Masie talk to me." he practically begs. I choke out a broken reply.
"I love you Daddy."

I'm sitting with Carl in a room in Hershel's home.
      The words felt foreign on my tongue I can honestly say I have never said
'I love you daddy' before in my life. Scott wasn't my daddy, he never was, Daryl is though. I look over to Carl who is listening at the door.
"Their gonna kill him... come on we've gotta go see!" He says eagerly.
"Nah, I'm good."
"Whatever," he sneaks out a window. I lay down, and fall asleep on the couch.
     I wake up and leave the house quietly. The adults are all talking, and that's when I hear it... Dale screaming.
"Help!" I yell and take off running towards the screaming. I hear Daryl yelling to me.
"Masie get back here." I can't stop I have to get to Dale, he's like a grandpa to me. I hear somebody right at my heels... I can tell it's Daryl, cause when he runs by he swoops me up and runs with me in his arms.
     I brake when I see it,
"Noooo!!!" I scream. Daryl attaches and kills the walker feeding on Dale's flesh.
I fall over and lay my head on his chest where the blood isn't splattered. Everything is happening around me, but I just tune it out, and focus on Dale's hand rubbing my head in assurance. I feel him trying to get my attention. I sit up slowly and look at him. He kisses my forehead and smiles his wise smile at me. It sends tears down my cheeks.
"Glenn!" I hear Daryl bark out. I feel myself being pulled off Dale and held in Glenn's embrace. He's crying too but he's trying to be a man about it.
I hear a gunshot go off, and I know what happened. I stop crying, I can't feel anything just the numbness this pain has caused. I feel myself being passed over to somebody else. I can tell by the muscular figure it's Daryl. I bury my head in his shoulder and cry.
All I remember is being carried to the tent. Daryl helps me out of my dirty clothes, and into a clean shirt of his. He takes mine and his shoes off, and picks me up again. He lays me on his chest. I fall asleep to his heart beat, and every once in a while his assuring words.
"It's gonna be alright he's in a better place baby girl ."