28. Humanity At The Hands Of Mason

When I wake up to a nightmare, the sun is up. I open the door a crack, and see Daryl putting a tool through a walker's head. My stomach drops, but I continue to walk toward him. "Daryl?" He hits it again.
"Go put some clothes on."
     I walk towards his camp, but he stops me,
  "Hey where ya going?"
"Ta git my clothes." He rolls his eyes.
"No dip, I meant why ya goin ta my camp. Didn't ya say they were at the Grimes's?" I nod my head yes,
"Well then go git 'em."
"What 'bout my clothes from last night?" He looks at me weird.
"The ones covered in guts?"
"Well I guess."
"I burned 'em." He says simply, going back to work.
"Ya what? I say unbelievably.
"I burned 'em." He looks at me again. "Ya had no right ta, they were my clothes!"
"Ya best watch your tone sister." He growls.
"Now, I wasn't gonna let ya run 'round with stained blood on ya. Now go git your clothes." I don't move, at first. But when Daryl puts down his pickaxe, and takes a step towards me, I sprint to their tent.
I grab the 'better day' shirt, and a pair of shorts that go to my knees. I take my hair out of the braid, and comb through it, leaving it kinky, and down. Once I look human enough, I leave the tent to see if I can do anything.
I See Daryl still at it, Andrea crying over her sister, and everybody else trying to keep busy. Probably so they don't break down. I slowly walk over to Daryl,
"Daryl?"
"What do ya wan' I'm busy." He says in his gruff voice. I wonder if he got any sleep? Probably not.
"Can I do somethin?" He huffs, and looks at me.
"Like what?" I look down,
"anything." He smiles, but not a nice one, a sarcastic one,
"Do ya see that one?" He says pointing to a fallen walker.
"Yes... why?" I say confused.
"Why don't ya move that over ta tha' pile." He scoffs, obviously knowing I wouldn't be able to, but I ain't givin up that easy.
"Okay, I will." I say with a little sass, but not enough that he'd say anything.
I walk over, and scratch my head not knowing how the heck I'm gonna pull this off... Wait pull it off? I suddenly have a brain storm, what if I did pull it off, Lori would have a fit, but maybe put Daryl back in my favor. I smirk, and turn around to see Daryl leaning on his axe smirking knowing he wins this. Boy is he gonna be surprised.
I see a pair of work gloves. After I put my hair in a very messy ponytail,
using the tie that Lori had originally used. I put the gloves on, and I pull out my biggest knife, it's almost like a machete to me. I slowly make my way over to the corpse, this is gonna be nasty. I kinda want to back down. Then I'd have to tell Daryl I'm good to just watch, but that'd be chicken, and I'm not a chicken.
After my little pep talk I kneel down. Where do I even start? The legs, the arms? I shudder just thinking 'bout it. Once I remember that no matter where I start it's gonna be bad. I decided to work my way up, start with the legs. I put the knife about a foot above his left knee, lift it up and crash it down as hard as I can. I make sure to not get too much blood on me, especially my face. After a few more hits, the leg is off. I grab it and drag it to the pile. When I turn around I realize, I now have Daryl's full attention. I go back to the body, and start in on the right leg I get it done faster this time.
     I turn around to see Daryl totally in shock with me, but not just Daryl, everybody. I ignore it at first, then Lori speaks up.
"Are you serious?! She's eight! What are you thinking?!" Daryl smirks,
"She's the one who wanted to help, I didn't tell her to become a butcher!" I walk back over, and raise the knife to the arm. I stop, and aim for the neck instead, knowing this would make Lori want to throw up. Before I can bring it down though somebody grabs my arm, and quickly disarms me. I whip around about to get mad, but stop when I see it's Daryl.
"Come on, your enjoying it too much." I open my mouth to argue, but stop myself and calmly ask,
"Enjoying it? I'm doin it cause you asked me ta do it. You didn't tell me how, so I used my creativity. I thought ya were supposed to encourage that. Aren't you?" He scoffs,
"don't test me to use my creativity with ya." I can't help the smirk that comes from his threat, but only because he's smirking letting me know he ain't mad.
"Can I have my knife back?" I ask hopefully.
"No!" Lori, Shane, Daryl, and Rick say in unison.
"Why not? I gotta job to do still." Daryl rolls his eyes,
"Git over to the other kids I'll git ya when I find somethin that doesn't need your creative touch." I smirk,
"Yes sir," Daryl yells to me,
"Hey, stay out of the RV, there's a walker in their, but don' worry your dogs guardin 'im." I whip around,
"What the world you talkin 'bout? There's a walker? Why didn't ya kill it?!" I say getting louder by the word.
"It's not a walker, it's Jim. He's bit." Shane says glaring at Daryl. I look to Daryl for a second,
"huh?"
"Go find the kids now!" He snaps. I turn on my heal, and go to find them. I stroll past the disgusted adults on my way, and laugh inside.
      I whip around when I hear commotion from the adults, it's Amy that's all I know, before Andrea releases a bullet into her skull. My little bit of fun vanishing when I realize what I just did. I butchered a walker... no he was a person just like me. I enjoyed it, I had fun at its expense. I'm just as bad as my daddy, that's something he would do. I'm disgusted in my own lack of humanity. Instead of finding the other kids, I start to go to Daryl's tent,
"Hey, the kids are that..." He stops when he sees my eyes filled with tears. He gives a nod letting me know that I'm okay. I sulk my way to his tent, and enter. I see a lot of stuff all over the place, but I lay on one of the cots. I pull my knees to my chest, and wrap my arms around them, then fall into a dreamless sleep.