6. Campfire Talks

I am now laying in my sleeping bag wishing to be anywhere but here. Carl's crying is annoying the heck out of me, and Lori is trying to soothe him.

"He could be alive right mom?"

"Carl I'm so sorry sweetheart I wish there was something we could do, but he's in a better place," oh nice, lie to the kid I thought.

After about an hour Carl and Lori were finally asleep. So I grabbed my sleeping bag and went to the campfire, so I can sleep with my dog. He laid so I was using him as a pillow, and we were both looking at the small fire.

"Why are you up?" A kind voice asks me.

Looking behind me I see Glenn crouched down so he could see me better.

"not very tired," I lied.

I was exhausted, but I didn't want to have a nightmare. He sat down beside me, and warmed his hands up,

"will you help me keep watch?" I sat up and began petting my dog.

"So where were you when everything started?"

I'm just gonna ignored him. He sighed,

"ya know if it wasn't for me you wouldn't have that dog." I sighed.

"I was hunting in the woods behind my house, when I saw a man get shot through the head, I ran home packed my stuff, and me and my daddy got the heck outta dodge," I replied with no emotion.

"Hmmm that's interesting," he said sarcastically,

"Well, what did ya expect, I went on a killing rampage like a freaking serial killer!"

"No, It's just that most little girls would be playing with friends or dolls, and doing little girl stuff, but not you, you're off hunting in the woods," Glenn defended.

"Well I'm not like most little girls."

"did you hunt with your daddy?"

"no," I replied getting irritated.

"Why not?"

"Cause I don't need or want anybody to help me I just want to be left alone!"

"you might act all tough, but you're still just a little girl." I was angry about him belittling me and replied sassily.

"Well if u need me I will be practicing my jump roping and hopscotch."

"I didn't mean to offend you," he sorta apologizes.

"Yeah, whatever," I get up and call my dog. I still need to name him I thought to myself.

   "Where are you going now?"

"Where ever I can get some freaking peace and quiet!" I whisper/yell to him.

"You shouldn't be wandering around especially in the dark."

"Yeah, I'll take that into consideration" I say with an eye roll.

     "Come on back, or I'll have to get Shane," He threatens.

"I'm shaking" I say lifting my hand up and pointing to it.

"I mean it mason!" I groan and stomp back to the fire.

    I almost throw myself back on the ground in the same position as before I left.

Glenn sighs,
"Mase I..." I sit up,

"it's Mason! Why does everybody who has talked to me automatically think they can act like they care about me, and we are gonna be best friends!" I rant.