19. Up On The House Top

The longer we run the more walkers join in the dinner line. We came to a big store, with two doors. Merle runs in first practically throwing me through the doors with him. I about fall, but catch myself before I do. Glenn and T-Dog slam the doors shut, and bolt them.

"This isn't gonna hold for long. We need ta get out of here."

T-Dog says completely out of breath.

"Well let's find some other way out."

A lady, I forgot her name says. I decide it's probably a good time to stay quiet.

"Nah we need to get to high ground" Merle throws in.

Are debate is cut short by a few gut wrenching moans. I gasp and draw out my knife, and step forward. Merle is quick to disarm me, and yank me backwards, making me fall to the floor. I scrape my knee on a bar of a clothes rack, it stings pretty bad, but I stay quiet as Merle shoots three of them in the head.

"It would've been quieter if ya let me stab em."

I don't have any experience, but I still want to at least sound tough.

"Ya could barley reach their shoulders, let alone their brain," He scoffs.

Morales helps me stand up, and makes sure I'm steady before he lets me go. Nobody says anything for a minute.

"I never thought I'd say it, but Merle's right. We need to get ta the roof. Harder for the geeks to get up there."

Everybody nods as Glenn leads the way to a door.

"It's this way."

He says as he carefully opens it a crack and uses his flashlight to check it. Before he can do anything Merle walks over and shoves him out of the way, flinging the door open in the process. I gasp as the guys help him up. Merle walks in and starts shootin, and swearing at some walkers a few stairs up. He turns to me,

"Stay here I'll come get you when it's clear."

He disappears, and doesn't return for a few minutes. I hear gun shots, and a few grunts before Merle appears at the door yankin my elbow, draggin me up the steps. I let out a quiet yelp, and heard a few whispers from the others, about how he's shoving me everywhere. Somebody even went as far as to say he was gonna break my arm if he keeps dragging me everywhere.

For the first time, I'm actually kinda scared of Merle. It's almost like he's different from when I first met him. Or maybe he was like this to begin with, I just saw what I wanted to see. Somebody who wanted me around?

More like somebody to use against Shane, but Shane's not here, and he ain't treating me like he cares a lick bout me. I feel like I was blindfolded, but I'm not that stupid anymore. I wrench my arm from Merle's grasp. It wasn't easy, but he wasn't expecting it.

"What the he-"

"I can walk by myself, don't need you to drag me with you."

I say as firmly as I can. He scoffs, but keeps walking up the stairs. Taken them two at a time.

I jump and turn around, when I feel a hand on my back. Oh, it's just Glenn,

"I'm not gonna let him hurt you."

I just give him a shrug, after all it's Glenn what's he gonna do. What can any of them do? Suddenly I find myself panicking on the inside, we're going up to a roof, with an insane redneck who has a gun. Where is the flaw in this plan? Glenn stops me,

"I'm gonna go check and see how the glass is holding up, or If there's a way out."

A few of the others decide to follow him, including me. Me and Glenn are searching when I find a shirt my size, I grab it and a few other colored ones, along with some pants and shorts I find.

I smile when I find a shirt that says 'It would be a wonderful day if you would go away' I grab it just for the fun of it. I'm gonna wear it whenever Shane or Lori are annoying me. Glenn comes over with a baseball cap, it's too small for his head, but he puts it on me, and it fits perfectly.

"it's gonna get hot, that will keep the sun out of your eyes." I smile at him.

"Thanks." I say a little shyly.

     We hear something, and Glenn tells me ta go up stairs to the roof. I don't argue, as him and the others go through a separate door, and I go though the one to the roof.

      On my way I hear gunfire, and decide to walk slowly, hoping the others would get back and tell me I can come back down with them, but no such luck as I make it to the top step. When I walk out, Merle is throwing a dead one off of the roof. I have a face of pure disgust on, as a walker comes stumbling forward. Merle quickly goes behind it, and grabs it by the back of the collar. It's snapping at Merle's hand as he drags it too the roof top laughing. I see him my daddy, not literally, but in Merle's eyes. He has a look of pure insanity as he steps on the ledge throwing the walker other it.

"Always wanted to do that, while everybody was off shopping I cleared the whole roof all by myself."

he's laughing hysterically,

"How noble of you."

I say as sarcastically as I can. Another walker with one leg is trying to make it's way over it's basically crawling, so there's no immediate threat. Merle has a look of joy while he walks over to it, and puts his foot on the things neck so it can't move. He kneels down, and begins talking to it,

"Hey buddy, how would ya like to have one last thrill. It's gonna be a short flight. Refreshments are included."

He starts laughing again, as he stands up, and stands the walker up with him. Making their way over to the roof. He starts a little game where he'd take a step back and the walker would try to get to him, it's disgusting. It makes me angry, this shouldn't be fun.

I'm pretty good at knife throwing, but that would only lose my knife, cause he'd chuck it over with the knife still in it whether it was dead or not. Instead I pull out my gun, I've never used it, but I've seen it done. How hard can it be? It takes me a minute to cock it, and I hold it up best I can. I'm shaking, what if I shoot Merle? I'd be the one going over the roof. I steady my hands and aim the pistol. The sound is louder up close, and I'm kicked back. I fall down, and I'm a little dizzy. Everything is silent, and my ears are ringing slightly. Merle is lookin at me like I'm crazy it's a minute before he starts to straighten up, and takes a step towards me, I pull the hammer back of my gun, and aim it at Merle, I'm scared he'll throw me over.

"Woah now sweet heart, let's just think bout this for a second."

He sounds like he used to, trying to be nice again. I see straight through it this time.

"Don't come any closer. Why have you been treating me so nice? Is it to annoy Shane? You don't care a lick bout me do you?"

"Hey now come on ya know tha isn't true, your a little spitfire, got spunk 'n I like that. I wouldn't hurt ya. Ya think I would? I mean sure, I gave ya a little what for earlier, but I wouldn't ever do anything to kill you."

I'm almost in tears I'm so scared. I'm scared put the gun down, but I'm also scared to keep it up.

"I don't know, ya been draggin me all over the place. And I shot the walker that you were holdin on to, I'd be pretty ticked off if I was you."

He laughs.

"Did I say I wasn't? Cause I am. If you put tha gun down I won't do anything, cross my heart."

He says crossin it with his finger.

"Ya ain't got one." I say sassily, and he snorts.

"Come on make up your little mind. Are ya gonna shoot me or not?"

I'm now faced with a tough choice. Am I gonna wait, or should I give it up, and just accept my fate? Oh boy, am I in for it this time.