Chapter Nine

I sat at Jax's desk, my eyes on his pictures as he leaned against the bookshelf. He had let me into his room to talk, and though he had hardly said a word to me, let alone look me in the eye, he was still willing to listen to what I had to say. That was a step in the right direction, right? I sure hope it was.

"So, that's what we found out. We are going to sneak in after dark, find and steal the pistol, then sneak out."

He didn't say anything, so I flashed him a look. His eyes were glued to the wall above his bed, his mouth in a thin line.

"There was something else also." I began, "We found out why you glow when you are centering yourself."

His eyes flickered but didn't land on me.

"It's because the Goddess glows, and the leaders are a part of her, so they glow. So, we think that you are a leader of something, a part of the Goddess."

His hazel eyes met mine then, and something flashed within them. Was it pain, anger or both? Whatever it was, it disappeared when he looked away and nodded.

"Let's get going then." He said, turning away and leaving his room.

I let out a low sigh and followed him.

Once the sun had set, we all took off towards the old prison. April and Jax took his car, John and I went with Christian. We could have all easily fit into one car, but it was better for Jax this way. I wasn't going to push him, not now, not while he was still hurting, still healing.

We parked around the corner in a dirt lot, yes it would have been better to park closer, but they would know something was up if there were suddenly two cars parked out front.

So, from there, we walked, keeping to the shadows as our ears strained for anything and everything. I glanced up at the "Idaho Museum of Mining and Geology" and had a flashback of my dad bringing me there when I was younger.

With a shake of my head, I looked ahead. From here I could easily see the roof of the front building. It had always reminded me of a castle as there was a pillar with four large spikes atop it and the entire building was made from old stone.

This is it? John asked, sending it to my mind so that we didn't speak aloud.

Yeah.

Kind of small for a prison.

This is just the front building, there are more behind it. Multiple buildings containing cells, it is going to be hard to find the right one without getting caught.

Maybe you should stay here.

I shot him a look, no way.

I didn't think you'd agree. He sighed.

I turned left after the museum where a space between that and the prison was, sinking low in hopes that no one could see if they were watching. We approached the large stone wall with barbed wire attached to the top.

"What now?" I whispered.

"Up and over?" John suggested.

"That's razor-sharp barb wire, you can die if you get stuck in that."

"Well, I can't die, neither can April or Jax." He winked, "You can hang onto my back as I scale the wall and hop over." He said then glanced at the wall again, "Should be easy enough for us immortals to do."

"How about Christian clings to you and I hang on April?" I suggested, imaging April struggling to lift Christian. Though I knew she would most likely not have any trouble.

"Fine."

"Climb on," April said, leaning over.

I hopped onto her back, feeling a tad bit embarrassed, and hung on tightly as she easily scaled the wall, her fingers digging into crevices I didn't know where there, her feet pushing us higher and higher until we reached the top. April, mindful of me, stepped over the barbed wire and dropped down. My heart flew to my throat as we fell, and my teeth slammed together when we hit the ground silently.

Jax dropped to a crouch next to us, his smiling face meeting mine for a moment before he quickly looked away. John and Christian landed next, smiles on their faces as well.

"I can't believe you can do that," Christian said quietly, I knew if we weren't in this situation that he would have shouted those words.

"Now where?" Jax asked.

"Now we check each building until we find them." I sighed, "Remember to stay low, keep to the shadows and stay quiet."

"Immortals have excellent hearing, be aware of that," Jax said, looking at John.

"I know, I am an immortal, you know?" he rolled his eyes.

The search didn't take long, as they were in the first building which held cells. They probably hadn't planned for us to find them, let alone sneak in here. The door gave a low squeak as John opened it, but no one noticed as they were all laughing.

One by one, we slipped in and stayed tucked against the wall. I was thankful that the moon wasn't full, so not a lot of light spilled through the large windows and the building was old, so the electricity didn't work anymore. 

The immortals hung around a few tattered sofas, a bonfire in the middle as they each sipped from their own bottle of liquor. I didn't see Erik in the mix, but I was sure that he wasn't the type of man who "partied" like that. Now, he had to be off somewhere, planning his next move.

My head lifted and my eyes strained, but from here I could see the next two floors, and as far as I could tell, they were empty of immortals; but then again, it was dark and hard to see. The fourth floor, on the other hand, was impossible to see, it was so much higher and darker. We quietly climbed the stairs to our left, heading up to the next floor.

Christian peered around the corner on the second floor and crept forward. The rest of us continued up, pausing briefly on the third floor where Jax and April broke off and began their search. Which left John and me to search the top floor, the darkest floor.

I approached the first cell and in the dim light of the moon, I could barely make out the opened door of the cell. I glanced down the hall, but John was already searching, with a gulp, I walked in.

The light from the bonfire didn't reach up here, and the dim moonlight didn't just about nothing to light this little cell. Still, I carefully searched and came up empty after a few minutes. 

The fourth cell, come here. John said.

I nodded and crept over to him, counting the cells as I passed. When I entered his cell, I saw that he was standing over a small metal safe.

Is that it?

He looked over his shoulder at me, I'm not sure. It's locked.

Just then an arm finger tapped my shoulder and I spun around, my scream stuck in my throat. When I saw mossy green eyes, I let out a sigh and my body began to tremble.

Christian pulled me against him, "I didn't mean to scare you." He whispered in my ear, "We didn't find anything on the other floors."

My breathing was ragged, and my heart struggled to settle, "John might have."

Jax and April crouched near the door, watching John fiddle with a box. My stomach began to turn, my hands became sweaty and an image of Erik popped into my mind.

Before I could tell the others, a door slammed below us, and a familiar laugh filled the air, making us freeze. Erik had just walked into the cell block.