87: 花椰菜

"Why does she still live there?"

We're having dinner at Miss Jeon's house tonight. We haven't been able to meet up with her sooner as Jungkook wished, but he was finally able to get off work on time today.

It's time we break it to her. This will be good. She's always wanted a grandchild, maybe taking care of one will help get her spark back. I think the baby would be lucky to have a grandmother like her. She'll work extra hard to do it well because she failed with Jungkook. Maybe that's why she wants a grandchild so badly. Maybe she just wants a second chance to do it right.

Jun is driving tonight because Jungkook is too tired to be behind the steering wheel. He really is drained. Jungkook's sitting in the back with me this time with his head on my shoulder.

"She doesn't feel safe with the thought of someone else living in it. My mother still thinks my father hangs around there. I think it's just the memories. They've lived there together longer than I've been alive."

He explained while his fingers lingered on my stomach. Jungkook's been doing that ever since I admitted that I was pregnant. I guess he's curious about what's going on inside. He isn't so much holding it as he is feeling for any difference in my stomach. I keep telling him it's too early for that, but it doesn't stop him.

"I don't blame her though, not everybody is lucky enough to get over things like this."

I nodded silently, "Hey, remind me again if your Mother knows about you wanting to quit the job or not?"

If I'm going to be nervous and have small talk about random things, I need to know what I can't bring up. I don't want to be that embarrassing character that makes the day harder for everyone else. Especially not with my mother-in-law.

"No," He snuggled himself deeper into the crook of my neck. I can tell he's going to fall asleep soon.

"No? Why?" I run my hand up and down his thigh.

"I just got our relationship together for the first time in literally forever. I don't want to ruin it by bringing up the company."

I blink, "Well...if your relationship can't handle a conversation about what you want for your life, then maybe it was never really 'together'. You could use this to test it out, see if she's truly ready to accept you."

There was a long pause before he replied. I won't complain, at least he wasn't rushing to say something he didn't mean.

"When I'm ready."

A heavy exhale leaves his lips as if to settle himself down for a nap. I let him sleep like this in silence for the rest of the ride.

***

"Oh, Aera! My dear, it's been so long," I'm engulfed into a strong hug, and Miss Jeon's perfume immediately rushes up my nose. She has so much strength for someone so skinny. I can feel the bones of her shoulder jabbing into me.

"It's good to see you too," I spoke and let out a nervous laugh. My hand is still entangled with Jungkook's, who is standing behind me and waiting for his turn.

She finally lets me go and I stand up properly, straightening my back. I unravel my fingers from Jungkook's hand and allow him to embrace his mother. He immediately towers over her and covers her body with his larger frame. His mother's closing her eyes with a soft smile on her lips. I wish Jungkook could see the expression on her face.

Her delicate hands rubbed on his larger back, "How was Bhutan for you two?"

"It was great, Mother. We had a lot of fun," I answered for the both of us. The two of them seemed shocked at what I called her as they pulled apart from the embrace to look at me. Jungkook was smiling, he looked proud somehow. We're family now, what else would I be calling her?