18: 反醒

———Third Person's
———During lunch break

"Eunae, stop." Taehyung begs as he runs after her. Her footsteps don't cease, and his pleads don't either.

"I want to talk."

He tries to grab her wrist and when he does she shakes herself away from his grasp.

"Listen to me, goddamn it!"

The two reach the grass field, and finally, she turns around to face him. He's red, of anger.

"I don't want to fight, stop ignoring me. The silent treatment is so fucking low of you, Eunae."

"Taehyung, do you remember who started this argument? Do you remember who first walked out of the conversation? Do you remember who first ignored who? Do you fucking remember what actually happened, or are you just like everyone else?"

Taehyung is silent, and Eunae finally shows that her pain isn't any less unbearable than his.

"Do you too suddenly forget the truth and just point fingers at me once there's something wrong between us? Have you heard the things that's been going around about me? No! Because you don't care! You don't ever fucking care, all you care about is how you feel."

He couldn't find any words to defend himself, because this time, he was wrong. No words could change that.

"It's me, I'm always the problem, do you know why? Because to everyone you're the innocent boy with a cute smile and looks at people with puppy eyes. And me? I'm the condescending bitch that's not good enough for cute, kind Taehyung. You're tired of me for 'not trying hard enough' and not having our relationship the way you want it? Then you take the lead for fucks sake!" She's crying now, one thing she doesn't do often. Her tears spill as she gives her just-as-devastated boyfriend a shove on the chest.

"I'm tired of being the 'dominant' one in the relationship just to be called a bitch for it, to be shamed, to have to hear people say I'm not worth being your girlfriend, to hear people say that you'll leave me for someone that 'treats you better'."

"Eunae, I'm so sorry."

She would get shamed for everything that happened within their relationship, while Taehyung got pitied looks from others. To others, he was always faultless. Taehyung was very obviously the submissive one in relationships. Eunae is always the one to hug him from behind, to kiss his forehead, to let him sit on her lap despite his weight, because he wanted it. He wanted it. But instead she was always called the possessive one, the controlling one-and all the names that she didn't deserve to be called. It was almost as if people were trying to protect Taehyung from his own girlfriend.

They had them all wrong. But Taehyung never stood up for her.

"I do so much for you but you tell me I'm not doing enough! I don't deserve to be loved like this, I hate myself, but even I know this!"

Taehyung buries the crying mess in his arms, despite her fighting back. He didn't know if he could keep her anymore, but he wanted to- and he's going to work for it.

"I'm so sorry, I've been a horrible boyfriend. I've been selfish, and inconsiderate. Give me a second chance, please." He's so used to having everything go his way, he never thought about what she wanted-but it's time he does.

"You know how I feel with people. I let you in and you just let me down and hurt me! You let people walk over me, let people give me hate while they kiss your ass."

"Eunae please, let me make it up to you." He pleads, kissing her forehead repeatedly.

He was sorry, and willing to make changes-it's far from enough but his first step is a big one.

———Aera's

We're both studying now, on Jungkook's desk with textbooks spread out before us. My eyes are glued to the pages as Jungkook pulls out his phone for the thousandth time.

"Aera,"

He nudged me.

I will not let his lack of concentration influence me.

"Aera." He nudges me once again, this time I sense the urgency in his voice. He shoves his phone in my face, forcing me to look at the screen.

The pit of my stomach scrunches into a knot.

Paparazzis.

"What is this?" I ask him with a shaky breath and look up to see his solemn expression.

"They have pictures of us, and now they're bribing my parents for as much money as they can get."

Pictures of us hugging, kissing, not just 'pictures'. We're done once his parents find out, once the media finds out.

"Your parents didn't know about us yet, so that means-"

"Yes, they do know now, and it's from the fucking paparazzis."

Our eyes shoot back to his phone when a notification pops up.

Mother
Father and I are almost home. Let's have a talk.

"Fuck, hide me!" I say in panic, grabbing onto his arm and standing from the chair, but he stays put.

This isn't good. This isn't good at all.

"Aera, wait." He pulls me down and I realize we're in two different head-spaces.

"What?" I snap, still looking around for places I can hide.

"I can't keep you a secret forever. My parents will have to know about you sooner or later."

"What are you going on about?"

"Maybe we should just come clean about everything. No more hiding."

"What if your parents want to pull us apart?"

The thought of it makes my stomach turn again. And I don't realize how hard my hands are clawing at his wrists.

"I'll keep us together."