40: 凌晨

———Aera's

"How is your mother doing?" I'm going through my skin care routine in the bathroom, talking to Jungkook with my phone on speakers.

"I don't know," He's still at the company. He claimed to be alone in the office, and felt lonely without someone to talk to. It was perfect timing that I called him, feeling the same way all by myself in the cold flat.

"She still lives in the old house. We don't really ever meet, we do talk on the phone sometimes."

I apply the moisturizer around my face, "Why don't you guys meet up?"

"I'm busy, Aera."

"Well you made time for me in the last two days."

"That's why I'm staying so late today."

"Well, if you could do it for your girlfriend I reckon you could do the same for your own mother."

It's silent between us for a few seconds between us until he gives me a nonchalant hum in response. I suppose he's too busy to talk to me now too.

Finished and all set for sleep, I take the phone off the counter and take it with me to the bed.

"Are you going home soon?" I ask him, looking at the clock that told me it was now way past eleven. I pull the blanket up my legs, sliding into the bed.

"Probably not," He sighs and I can hear the exhaustion in his voice.

"Might not even go home. Too many things going on lately and I've been almost completely absent for the last two days."

A new idea invades my head and it's less than a second before I'm shuffling to get out of bed.

"Sleeping soon?" He asked, probably mistaking the sound of me pushing away the blanket as me getting into bed.

"No. Don't move."

"Huh?"

———Jungkook's

I look at the clock, reading twelve thirty with my sore eyes. I run my hand over my face and give it a little slap. It's been over an hour since Aera hung up on me, and the office is empty as I struggle to read Jun's report without falling into deep sleep.

I quickly take a sip of coffee despite knowing it's useless. My body is rebelling against me as heat passes my body and up my chest. I fussily take off my blazer and loosen my tie roughly, finally letting my neck breathe.

Defeated, I put away the folder and turn on my phone, hoping to see a notification from Aera show up on my lock screen.

Jun
I've sent you the file. You will most likely get the contract to sign tomorrow.

Great.

No Aera.

My office phone suddenly buzzes, and nearly makes me slip from my seat.

"Fucking hell," I groom through my hair and quickly pick it up.

"Hello Mr.Jeon. This is the security."

"Ah yes, what is the issue?"

"There is a lady here claiming to have made an appointment with you at...twelve thirty five in the morning."

I scrunch my eyebrows, "No, there has been no such schedule."

He doesn't hang up, and instead I hear him whispering to another. I wait impatiently, only wishing to hang up the phone and get back to work.