C Rank

Naruto decided he liked his team. Even though Sasuke looked down on him, Sakura-chan hit him and sensei was determined to train them to death, they all saw him. They didn't ignore him or see him as the Kyubbi. Even though Shisui sensei clearly hadn't wanted a team, he was never reluctant to answer their questions or correct their mistakes, which Naruto came to realize were many.

When sensei found out that he couldn't read or write properly, he didn't mock him, but offered to teach him.

That was the reason Naruto was sitting in sensei's house, working on kanji, when a pretty dark haired girl entered, looking diaheveled with messed up hair and dirt and grass stains on her clothes.

"What happened to you?" Sensei asked.

"Itachi." she grunted.

"Nope. I don't want to know. Why don't you help Naruto-kun with his kanji? I'll make dinner" Shisui sensei practically fled from the room. Naruto had a feeling that he was thinking of something perverted.

The pretty girl sat down across Naruto and introduced herself. " Hello, Naruto-kun. I'm Naomi, Shisui's amazing little sister."

" I am Uzumaki Naruto and I'm going to be Hokage, dattebayo." he replied.

"So, I've heard. But you'll have to work hard on your Kanji for that, from what I can see. Hokage do a lot of written work. "

He deflated. " But it's so boring. And I have so much else to do. Sensei is making me re do all my academy lessons, and I have to work on my taijutsu and... "

"Ni-chan told me you can create shadow clones. Why don't you use those to learn all those thing at once? And practicing Kanji will help you when you start learning fuinjutsu. It's legacy of Uzumaki clan, isn't it?" she said, casually. "Think about it. I'll go and change." she got up, ruffling his hair.

Naruto sat there completely still for a long time. He had a lot of thinking to do.

The next day, Naruto was still fidgety. He hadn't found anything about the Uzumaki clan in the library, even using his shadow clones. Then jiji tried to give them another babysitting mission.

"No, old man. This is enough. We are Ninja now. We are training hard. Give us a real mission." He shouted.

There was silence for a while, before jiji chuckled. "Very well Naruto-kun. Team 7 is assigned a C rank mission to escort bridge builder Tazuna to wave. Pick up your client at the North gate in two hours."

He couldn't believe it. An actual C rank. He had honestly expected jiji to start lecturing him.

"Hokage-sama, there are rumors of mercenary occupation in Wave." said a voice from the other side of room. Naruto turned to see an older boy that looked like Sasuke teme with longer hair, working on the mission assignment desk. "Naomi has been cooped up in the village too long, working on seals. Perhaps she can go with them, as extra protection."

Jiji puffed on his pipe. "Naomi-chan can go with them, if she wishes to."

"I'll ask her. Team 7, prepare your packs and meet at the north gate in two hours." Sensei dismissed them.

Turns out Naomi nee-chan actually wished to come with them.

"Naruto-kun, Brat, Pinkie." she greeted them as they approached the gate.

Sasuke teme scowled at her.

"Don't call Sasuke-kun that. And I'm not Pinkie." Sakura-chan shrieked.

Naomi nee-chan looked at her. "Oh, the the kitten has claws. And why should I listen to you. From what I've heard you're not much of a kunoichi."

Naruto opened his mouth to defend Sakura-chan when Sensei appeared with the client. " Team 7, imouto, we're leaving."

With that Naruto took his first steps outside the village