Sebastian Chapter 32

That was not what he expected to hear. He sat there in shock for a moment thinking about the surprising words that came out of her mouth. The worst part was that deep, deep down he had the same doubt that same thought, but until she said it he hadn't realized that he had it.

"That's ridiculous!" He says standing abruptly, trying to assure himself more than her.

"That's why I didn't want to say it, but you insisted. I told you it was crazy, now just forget it," she said standing up as well. "Now I'm going to get changed so we can go to that thing at the square, maybe get some more info."

"Right of course," he replies. However he couldn't forget about it though, he couldn't get rid of the feeling that she was right.

"Good, now you should get ready too," she says taking her bag with her into the bathroom.

Sebastian only nods and he tries to quickly change. He changes into a gray t shirt, dark blue jeans, and a leather jacket. He silently waits for Veronica to come out as he sits at the table. Veronica comes out of the bathroom her hair flows down in soft waves, and she wears blue jeans, a light blue shirt, and a black jacket. Sebastian stands up his heart hammering against his chest.

"Are you ready?" She asks.

"Sure," he replies casually trying to bring his heart rate down.

"Great lets go," she says taking his hand leading him out the door.

They walk towards the square hand in hand. He can't help the slight flutter in his chest as they stroll down the street. If he could stop time for this single moment, if he could just be with her for real, but she would never care about him the way he cared about her, not after all he's done to her.

"I think we are almost there," she says as they walk closer to the square.

"Good," Sebastian says moving his arm around her. How he wished this was real.

"You made it," the woman from the front desk says.

"We did. Thank you so much for the invitation!" Veronica says enthusiastically.

"Well of course. Now you can just go through the line for food then you can grab an open seat," the women instructed.

Sebastian and Veronica went to the end of the line, and piled their plates with food. After they have gotten all their food they find two seats. They sit in silence as they shovel food into their mouths. It has been a while since they have had a warm meal to fill there stomachs.

As the minutes tick by more people file in. The people all converse with each other in such a friendly manner, making Sebastian wonder if this was what life was like before the war. He wondered if people lived like this, happy, and if so how did it turn into this.

Before any more deep thoughts filled Sebastian's head, an older lady walks up to them. She takes the seat beside Veronica and says, "You two young lads must be new."

"Yes we are ma'am," she replies politely.

"Well my name is Shirley," she replies.

"My name is Veronica and this is Sebastian," Veronica says gesturing to Sebastian.

"And you two are married?" She asks.

"No, we're not-," Veronica starts.

"She's not," he says at the same time.

"Oh I see," Shirley responds with a giggle. "Listen kids I've been here a long time, and I know when two kids are in love."

A slight pink comes to Sebastian's face when she says this, but Veronica recovers for the both of them, "So you've been here for a while?"

"Indeed I have," she says.

"Has the government ever found out about this place? Have they ever sent in spies?" Veronica asks.

"You need not worry child, you're safe here," she soothes.

"I'm sorry, it's just after all we've been through I can't help but worry," Veronica replies.

"I understand child, but you are safe here," Shirley replies, "You know now that I think about it, Jared was actually sent in as a spy about a decade ago."

"But he's still here?" Sebastian asked feigning anger.

"Well now let me finish," she replies, "You see he fell in love. So he told his organization that there was nothing here, then he faked his death."

"And how do you know he is truly not working for them anymore?" Sebastian asked.

"Because he now has a wife and two kids who he loves very much so forget about it. Anyways, tell me about yourselves," she says moving on from the topic.

So Veronica dives into their fake story about how they came to this place, and where they were from. However as she does this Sebastian gets lost in his thoughts. Thoughts about how this mission isn't what he thought. Thoughts about how the guard is wrong.