Sebastian Chapter 26

Veronica was passed out in his arms when the doctors came. They where hauled down to the infirmary where he refused to let her out of his sight. She laid in the next bed over.

He gazed at her for a long while, not wanting to ever let her out of his sight again. She was almost taken from him, and it was this that made him realize the he didn't want to live without her. He couldn't live without her.

It took a long time for Sebastian to fall asleep. Every time he started to drift off he thought of her being carried away, and would snap back into attention. When he finally did fall asleep, dreams of her being whisked away plagued him, causing him to sleep fitfully.

He woke to a beam of sunlight shining through the window, filling every inch of the room with the Earth's happiness. However, the only happiness he wanted was hers. The realization of the past night dawned upon him, and he quickly jerked to look toward Veronica who was still fast asleep on the bed beside him. Relief flooded him like the sunlight that filled the room. She was safe, but the fact that they were both in a hospital drowned his hope that what happened was just a dream, or for Sebastian a nightmare.

Sebastian sits up in his bed leaning against his pillow. He balances his time before Veronica wakes by looking out the window rethinking everything he's ever believed in, and every few minutes checking to make sure she was still there. That she hadn't disappeared, leaving him to wander the world alone.

It wasn't long before she awoke from her slumber like sleeping beauty. However, she wasn't kissed awake. Veronica didn't need a man to save her, Sebastian thought, but I need her to save me.

The moment she sat up she searched frantically for Sebastian. Then as her eyes met his she immediately relaxed, and so did he. Her hair was sticking up in odd directions, and she had dark circles under her eyes, but Sebastian did think she could ever look more beautiful.

She smiled at him, and he sent a smile back naturally. Something about Veronica always made him want to smile and he loved it, how she radiated warmth through her smile

"You're okay," she said with a sigh of relief.

"Yes," he says, "thanks to you."

"I didn't do much," she says looking down.

"You saved my life," he says not breaking his gaze.

"Anyone would have done it," she says, still looking down.

"Sure anyone could have tried, but only you could do it and I'm glad you were there," he says.

"How are you feeling," she says changing the subject.

"Better now, that your safe," he says smiling at her.

She looks down with a shy smile then says, "Well, I hope you won't be upset but..."

"What?" He asks concerned.

"I don't think I'll be able to make it to training today," she says with a laugh.

Sebastian starts to laugh as well, but it soon turns into a wince. He grimaces as he clutches his ribs.

"Are you okay?" She asks, her tone filled with concern.

"Oh, it's only a broken rib," he says with a weak grin.

She shoots him a look mixed with concern and agitation. She then rolls her eyes and says, "You sure you're okay?"

"Of course," he assures. "Are you?"

"I'm fine, just a little banged up," she replies. He eyes her suspiciously, then once he's satisfied he nods.

They spend the rest of the day talking, getting check ups, playing cards, and eating. They spend all of there days like this smiling, laughing, joking around. That is until Sebastian is called to the Director's office.

Sebastian sits in one of the chairs across from the Director's desk, nervously. He doesn't know what this little chat is about, but he's afraid of what it could be. The last little chat left him rattle, he couldn't really see how this one would be much better.

The Director walks in calmly, and takes a seat across from Sebastian, hands folded neatly on the desk. With a deep breath the Director says, "I'm just going to cut to the chase."

Sebastian holds his breath in the anticipation allowing the Director to continue, "What were you doing in Daldalian's room the night of the attack?"

"Well sir, before the alarms went off, I was attacked by the intruder. He knocked me out. When I woke the alarms were blazing, so I decided to go to see if anyone was hurt. As I walked down the hallway her door was ajar, and I figured something was wrong. Then, I saw the intruder carrying her away. So I attacked him, but he had this weapon sir, and before I knew what was happening I was against the wall, and everything went dark. When I woke Veronica was over me, and here we are."

"So you went into her room, even after I told you to keep your distance?" He asks in an unsettling tone.

"Yes sir, but-," he starts.

"No buts. I specifically told you to keep your distance, and you disobeyed," the Director reprimands.

"Sir, I stopped her from being taken, and you said it yourself that she is valuable," he explains.

"Yes, I did, but I also said that you are worth more than she is," the Director says.

"Who are you to decide someone's worth," Sebastian demands.

"Careful there Hall," the Director snaps. "You are walking a very thin line. You remember when we found you. We can easily take you back or put her there instead if you're so concerned with her."

"No," Sebastian said a little too quickly, "that won't be necessary. I apologize."

"Good," the Director replies, "Now, keep your distance, and listen this time. Because if this happens again we wouldn't hesitate to do what's necessary. Understood."

"I understand," Sebastian said.

"Excellent. You're dismissed."

Sebastian only nods, and walks out swiftly. Once out of the room he lets out a deep breath. Something weird was going on, and he was going to find out what, but first he has to keep Veronica safe.