Veronica Chapter 25

"No," I gasp.

Before I know what I'm doing my hands are over his chest starting CPR. I tried to have a steady rhythm, but it was hard to remain steady when I new he might not come back. No! I can't think like that. He won't die. He can't.

"Please," I beg as tears drip down my face. "Come back to me."

I continue to press down on his chest, willing with every fiber in my body that he'll wake up. He has to wake up!

"Sebastian please!" I sob, "Please wake up. I need you."

Then, as if on cue, he springs up gasping like a fish out his of water. I breathe a sigh of relief, and pull him into a tight embrace. It takes me a moment to notice that I'm sobbing with relief.

He pulls me away just enough to look at me, but not enough where I'm not still in his embrace. He looks down at me and says, "It's okay. Calm down, I'm okay."

"No your not," I demand, "You just died! I almost lost you." Then I start crying again.

He pulls me hard against his chest stroking my hair, "You will never lose me."

"You can't promise that," I reply.

"Yes I can," he says stubbornly.

I cling to him for a long while just happy that he's alive. I never knew I could be that afraid for someone else. It's been so long since I've cared about someone that much, more than I care about myself.

Then I quickly pull away, remembering the other guy.

"What are we going to do about him?" I ask.

"He doesn't look like he'll be getting up anytime soon," he replies. "What did you hit him with?"

"My lamp," I say.

"Remind me not to get on your bad side," he mutters.

A small smile tugs at the corner of my mouth as he says this. I guess I have learned a lot here. I'm awesome! Well, maybe not right now. Right now I'm a mess.

"Do you want to try to get to the medical center?" I ask.

"Yeah that sounds great and all, but I can't get up," he answers.

"Okay," I say, "Then I'll go get help."

I start to pull myself up, but I don't have the strength. Instead I fall back down. I guess I'm more tired than I thought.

The feeling of fatigue overwhelms me as I crumple down to the ground. I land right next to him. He catches me before I hit the ground though, arms coming around me protectively.

It's getting harder to keep my eyes open, and it looks like he's have the same problem, but the look of concern still clouds his face. Why does he have to be so kind, caring for me even when he's hurt?

"Or maybe we'll just wait for help," I say.

"Sounds like a good plan," he replies.

My body gives out on top of him. My head lays against his shoulder, and his lays on top of my head. Our hands somehow intertwine as we drift off into the abyss of unconsciousness. I really hope the bad guy doesn't wake up.