Veronica Chapter 18

During lunch Em chatters on mindlessly, and I try to pay attention best I can. It's just my mind always drifts back to Sebastian. How he walks. His warm laugh. His smile that makes my heart skip a beat. And his kind eyes that make me want to melt.

In the background of my thoughts I hear Em speak to me. I guess she noticed me getting engulfed in thought. I really needed work on that.

"Sorry, what?" I ask.

"Okay something is on your mind so spill," she says.

"What nothing's on my mind," I say trying to lie.

"Girl, you and I both know that is far from true. So tell me what's going on," she says.

"Well-," I start, but she cuts me off.

"Is it a boy?" She asks in a hushed voice with a smile as wide of what used to be the Grand Canyon.

I look down guiltily, not saying a word.

"Oh my goodness," she squeals, " you are thinking about a boy. Do you like him?"

"I don't know if I like-," I start.

"Wait that's a dumb question you wouldn't be thinking about him if you didn't like him. So what's his name?" She asks talking so fast I can barely make out what she's saying.

"First, slow down. You're talking faster than a cheetah runs when it's hunting. Second, I don't know if I like him or not," I say.

"Sure," she says sarcastically, "but tell me who it is."

"Okay just don't tell anyone," I plead.

"Who am I going to tell? Shelly the skeleton in the lab," she scoffs.

"Fine it's Sebastian," I whisper.

"I can totally see it," she squeals quietly.

"See what?" I ask confused.

"You and him," she says, "You know together."

"I haven't really known him that long," I say.

"V," she starts, "Love is love. So stop fighting it."

I sigh, and roll my eyes. Then I attempt to change the topic, "So do you like someone?"

"Umm," she says looking down.

"You do!" I exclaim, "Who is it?"

"His name is Bruce," she says with a smile, "He works in the bio lab with me. I've kind of had a crush on him since school. We went to the same academy."

"And does he like you back?" I inquire.

"I don't know. I can barely speak to him let alone tell him I'm madly in love with him," she says, sadly.

"Well how do you really know him if you don't talk?" I ask.

"Just because I don't talk to him consistently doesn't mean I'm not observant," she says defensively.

"So you're a stalker?" I say accusingly.

"No. I just watch what he does, and listen to his conversations," she says.

I give her a look, "Okay."

"Oh my goodness. I'm a stalker," she says laughing.

I laugh along with her. We spend the rest of lunch talking about Bruce. She might be a little obsessed, and by a little I mean a lot. Sometimes I get the feeling that this girl is a little crazy, but that's okay we're all a little crazy even if it's deep down.