Veronica Chapter 16

After we talked for a while we came back down to the dorms. The nightmares thankfully stayed away the rest of the night. So I was able to sleep somewhat.

I wake to pounding on my door. What the heck? Who comes to my door at five in the morning? Well, except Sebastian, but he apparently doesn't know how to knock.

"I'm coming," I croak. The moment I pull the door open Em bursts in.

"Why aren't you ready yet?" She demands frantically.

"Because I was asleep," I reply.

"Wait, you're telling me that I didn't tell you that you have a meeting with the Director," she says taking so fast that can't understand half of what she's saying. I nod no, and she looks like she's going to pass out.

"What time am I supposed to be there?" I ask calmly.

"Fifteen after five," she says starting to hyperventilate.

"Em, we have fifteen minutes. I can get ready in that time, so calm down," I say reassuringly.

She nods violently, "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive. Now just sit down before you pass out," I say walking into the bathroom.

I return five minutes later dressed in a black tank top, black leggings, and gray shoes. My hair is pulled into a high ponytail. At this point I really don't care about my appearance.

"Ready," she asks.

"As I'll ever be," I say unconfident.

Em guides me through the maze I've yet to master. I loose track of where we are after six right turns, and four left, not in that order. However she seems to know exactly where she's going, so I'll just go with it.

I don't honestly know how long it took to get to the Director's office. All I can say is they need the maps posted around the building with a star on it that says "you are here". That would be very helpful. However, no such maps are provided.

Once we arrive there is a man in a suit who stands outside the door. He's tall, buff, and not to mention really scary. I got to admit his neutral look is very unsettling.

Opening the door he says, "Have a seat, the Director will be there in a moment."

I nod and enter. I take a seat in one of the leather chairs. My fingers strum on the arm rest. I look around absentmindedly. It's a nice office, but a little bland if you ask me.

A split second later the door creaks open. I whip around expecting to see the Director, but instead I see Sebastian who is sporting a black leather jacket, jeans, and a gray shirt. He flashes a brilliant smile that makes my stomach spin, and sits down next to me.

"Do you know why we're here?" I ask impatiently.

"Yep," he says stopping there.

"Are you going to explain, or just sit there and look pretty?" I question.

"Aww, you think I look pretty," he mocks.

I roll my eyes and shoot him a glare, "You know what I mean."

"Yeah you meant to say handsome," he replies.

I roll eyes and shake my head. I let out loud breath, and say, "Why are you so-,".

"Handsome?" He interrupts. He chuckles at my glare.

Before I can make a witty come back Director Caudfield walks in. Sebastian immediately stiffens. The Director takes a seat dramatically.

"I assume you know why you're here," he says.

"Yes sir," Sebastian says automatically.

"Nope," I reply at the same time.

"Miss Daldalian you are here to start training," he replies, clearly not amused.

"For?" I ask.

"For war Miss Daldalian," he says, "Black Dagger is getting stronger by the minute, and we don't have an agent to spare."

"And Black Dagger is," I question.

"A terrorist organization bent on crippling the world. They have the mind set that only the worthy should live, and those who aren't worthy should be enslaved or worse experimented on," he replies grimly.

"Well, that's dark," I reply.

"You might recall that you have engaged with them," he claims, "When you were expelled."

"Oh so that was scar face, and patchy," I say.

"Miss Daldalian is this a joke to you because innocent people will die if they come to power," he reprimands.

I look straight into his eyes, and say through clenched teeth, "Of course it's not a joke, and what do you mean if they come to power?"

"There is rumored to be a lab working on a disease that could target and wipe out the weakest part of the population, and if Black Dagger gets their hands on this virus first then millions will die," he explains.

"So what can I do," I ask.

"Two things," he says, "One, you will help hack their system. Two, you will train to become a field agent, and that is where agent Hall comes in," he says gesturing towards Sebastian.

"I will train you to fight so when the time comes you can protect yourself, and others," he says.

"Okay," I respond, "When does this training start?"

"Immediately," he replies.