Veronica Chapter 31

"So here it is," Jared says, "The Refugee hotel. This is where you will be staying."

"Thank you so much," I say pulling him into a hug. As I do this I pull his phone out of his pocket then I quickly take out the data chip dropping the phone on to the ground. "Oh, I am so sorry. I am so clumsy."

"Oh it's really no problem I would have dropped it sooner or later, and there's not even a scratch" he says. "Now Rhonda will take you from here, you can contact me if you need anything or have any questions." He nods towards Rhonda who is standing behind a desk then turns around and walks out offering a small wave before he goes.

"Alright, now if you two will follow me up to your room," she says leading us to a stair well after he left. "Here are your keys you're in room 5B. There is food already in there some is in the cabinets and some is in the fridge." She handed us two golden keys.

"Thank you so much," Sebastian says taking the keys.

"Of course we help people in need here. Now if you just need anything let me know, okay? I'll be downstairs at the desk." She says politely when we stop at the door.

"Thank you," I reply offering a warm smile.

She nods returning with a big smile, "I'll let you settle in. Every night we have a gathering in the square where everyone joins together for a warm meal. Feel free to join."

Sebastian only nods his head then pulls me into the room, closing the door behind us, and locking it. There is a queen size bed in one of the corners, and a large sofa in the other with a coffee table in front of it. There is also a small kitchen consisting of old cabinets, a dusty counter top, and a small fridge. A table sits across from the counter with four chairs around it.

"Alright lets get to work," he says throwing the small, worn out bag on the table.

I take a seat, and pull out the laptop. I take the chip and plug it into the computer to access the information. A group of files pop up on the screen. I select the email file, and start to skim through the messages. Nothing significant shows up as I read message after message, almost all of them are to his wife. I try other communication methods, but none of them give me anything useful, it's all pointless information about his dinner plans or grocery list.

After about an hour I start to bang my head on the table, and let out a frustrated sigh. "What's wrong?" He asks.

"There is nothing useful here. I've checked emails, phone calls, texts everything I could think of and non of it tells anything about Black Dagger. I don't know what else to do," I say.

"Hey look at me it will be okay," he says taking my hand in his.

"How do you know because so far I have found nothing not even a trail," I say.

"It's going to be fine!" He reassures.

"What makes you so sure?" I ask.

"Because I know you. You are one of the smartest, most capable person I know," he says sincerely.

I pause thinking then say, "What if..."

"What?" He asks.

"Never mind," I reply shaking my head.

"No what were you going to say?" He asks.

"Forget it. It was a dumb thought," I say starting to get up.

He grabs my arm yanking me back down, "No what were you thinking? Do you have an idea on what to do?"

"Not exactly," I reply trying to get up.

"Then what?" He demands pulling me down and holding me there.

"What if there is nothing," I answer. "What if they're wrong about this guy?"