Veronica Chapter 27

"Faster," my very new, very scary, trainer yells.

Too out of breath to reply I use all my strength to run faster. I've been running for what feels like ages in the gym that I didn't know we had. Laps are going to be the death of me. So when I die on my tombstone they will put Veronica Daldalian- Death By Running. Then people will be like, is that even possible, and the answer to that is yes obviously they wouldn't put it on my tombstone if it wasn't possible. Yep, that about sums it up I'm going to die by running instead of dying on a cool mission where they could put Died Saving The World on my tombstone instead.

"I said faster, not slower!" She shouts harshly.

The she I'm referring to is my new trainer Agent Lea. After we got out of the hospital and I was told I could train again I found out that I have a new trainer instead of Sebastian. You know I really thought that a life and a literal death experience really would have brought us together not have him leave me to a scary trainer who wants me to die by running. I really thought that we were past him ignoring me, but every time I pass him in the hall or in the cafeteria he just keeps walking not giving me a second glance. Ever since his little visit with the Director he was acting weird in the hospital, but it's like the moment we got out he hasn't wasted a second fleeing from me like I have some kind of contagious disease that will kill him if he even speaks too me.

"Daldalian get it together!" Lea shouts shaking her head in disapproval.

I snap out of my mental rant slash questioning, and try to pick up my pace. I literally feel like I'm going to puke. My insides are churning, and I can't feel my legs anymore it's a miracle that I haven't collapsed yet. However, the good thing about her trying to kill me with running is that I'm so tired by the end of that the nightmares don't stand a chance. Only, when they do come it's even worse. I dream of him, Sebastian. So maybe it's better that he's not training me.

"Just stop already," Lea snaps, "It hurts me to watch you run."

"I'm... Sorry," I say gasping like a fish out of water.

"As you should be," she says harshly. "Tomorrow you'll do an extra mile."

I internally groan at the thought of eight miles. I can barely do the seven at my top speed with out my body giving out on me completely. If I haven't died by the end of the week then it will be an astonishing miracle. I just have to get through the day of more cardio, sparring, and weapons training, but thankfully I have lunch to stop my never ending torture at least for twenty minutes before it continues.

I nod in acknowledgement of her words, hoping she will show mercy and let me go early to lunch. I try to give her a look that says please help me with out look weak, but I'm pretty sure I just look like I'm in pain, which is an accurate description according to my legs and lungs.

I think she took pity on me because she says, "Go to lunch, but be back at one sharp."

"Thank you," I say gratefully.

"Mhm," she replies turning around and walking out.

I haul myself to the cafeteria, and plop myself at our table where Em sits across from me while Wendy sits by my side. Em is up getting food, but Wendy slides her little hand into mine, looking up at me with a big smile and round eyes. Wendy and I have become close after she came to visit me in the hospital. It's like having a little sister to protect.

"Hi, Roni," she says using the nickname she gave me.

"Hey, sweet girl," I say. "How was your classes?"

"They're okay I guess," she says. "Some are boring though, and almost all of the kids are too serious. Well, except Ivy. She's the best. Ever since we met we've been best friends, but I already told you that." She adds a little giggle making my heart swell.