Sebastian Chapter 17

After the roof top. Sebastian wasn't able to sleep. The thoughts of Veronica flooded his mind. That, and the thought of going to the Director's office in the morning. While Sebastian played it off as cool, the Director left him rattled. Maybe it was because he was so intense, or maybe it was because he reminded Sebastian of someone from his past that he'd rather forget. Either way Director Caudfield made Sebastian uneasy.

So as expected the moment Director Caudfield entered the office Sebastian tensed. Before when he was talking with Veronica he was relaxed, but now he was as stiff as a board. Every muscle was clenched. He had a sudden urge to protect Veronica. However, he wasn't sure why. Why would she need protecting from the Director?

He halfway listened to the Director, but he was looking at Veronica. How her facial expression changed throughout the explanation. Her face was just like glass. He could see the pain that crossed her face when the Director said people will die, and all he wanted to do was comfort her. Just like on the roof. The way her eyes seemed to darken. Those bright eyes that made his heart skip a beat. Every moment she slipped into that darkness his heart lurched. It was as if every moment she was in pain he was in pain.

Once the Director finished, he guided Veronica out. Instantly his demeanor changed. He relaxed, and was at ease. Well, as much as he could be considering his heart was beating at a thousand beats per second.

They make their way through the halls in silence. Neither of them daring to speak. It takes a bit, but they reach the same hall as the cafeteria.

Before they go in Sebastian says, "After breakfast we'll meet in training room C."

"Yeah, I don't know where that is," she replies.

A small laugh burst from him, and he smiles and says, "I'll show you."

"Okay well then I'll see you after breakfast," she says with a smile.

That smile that could stop wars. The smile that could warm the coldest of hearts. The smile that made Sebastian want his head to beat in rhythm with hers.

"Yeah," he answers trying to keep his voice steady. It is easier for him to talk to her, but every once and a while he doesn't know what to say.

Veronica then turns away, and walks towards Em, leaving Sebastian standing there smiling. He's not sure why, but everything about that girl makes him smile, and he loves it.