ONE.

CHAPTER ONE.
"WHEN ONE IS INJURED WHILE THE OTHER IS INJURED MENTALLY."
TWO DAYS LATER- JULY 26TH 1993

Guilt: feelings of deserving blame especially for imagined offenses or from a sense of inadequacy

That's what I was feeling...guilty.

Even two days after it, and talking to Janine who usually calms everything down for me. I still couldn't help to think that I could've avoided this.

I sat down on his couch in the New Jersey home, honestly, I was a little tired because I had to say my name and tell things that I knew about DeVante that no one else knew just to get into the gate and then after that, I still had to get sniffed by pit bulls.

I came to check up on him, after getting discharged from the hospital a day ago. We went to the studio and did a couple of more songs for the Diary Of A Mad Band album and he acted like nothing happened and it scared me and Joel.Mainly Joel because DeVante talks to him about everything. If Joel can get nothing out of him then we fucked for good.

"You like them? I think they're cool." DeVante rubs one of their heads before sitting down on the couch.

"Uh...yeah sure." One was watching me heavy as fuck and I didn't know if it was gonna jump and bite my ass or just watch me the whole time. Narrowing my attention back on him, I notice the bags he had under his eyes.

I knew I wasn't crazy.

"So what you here for? Because I gotta' go to Rochester soon to check up on Static and them." He questions sticking chips into his mouth. Same ole' D, eating junk food for breakfast.

"Came to check up on you." He looks from the tv and to me like I said something in Spanish. He understood what I said.

"Yeah, I'm good. Why wouldn't I be? Last Night took a L but tonight I bounce back." He moves his shoulders in a dancing way and I raise an eyebrow.

"D that song hasn't come out yet, 93' remember?" He digs back into his bag of chips and shook his head.

"Oh yeah damn, I'm sorry. What you here for again?" I palm my forehead and laid my head back on his couch to look up at the ceiling.

"Nigga' I'm here to check up on you, two nights ago your skull was cracked open. I honestly haven't seen anyone get out a hospital dress and then into clothes to work all night in a studio. I haven't even told Ma yet. She'll be flying here in 0.2 seconds to nurse you to health." I ramble and he waves his hands in the air.

"Dalvin, I'm good. Look at me. I'm fine and don't go telling Momma so she can tell him. He'll just blame it on my secular music." I shook my head and look back at the tv.

"If that's what you thin-" My beeper went off to Janine and I push it back into my pocket. I would've called her but I can't call her here.

I haven't told D that's she alive. He left North Carolina overwhelmed and anytime the song she used to sing came on he either cut the radio off or busted out crying. I found him holding the same yellow jacket that night in his hands as he slept.