Chapter 9

"Mr Taylor, you are under arrest for abusive behaviour towards your daughter," said Officer Green professionally. My dad sat in shock for a few moments then stood up quickly, his mouth still open. He was wearing the same white shirt he wore everyday, the same white shirt he wore when he married mum which was now covered in rips and stains. He looked confused at first and then he burst into tears. I felt like crying myself as I watched my dad standing in his wedding shirt, wiping tears away from his eyes. He always alot these days. I was never sure if it was from the alcohol or not but to me, it never felt right to watch him cry. I felt sorry for him in a way as he was still hurting from the loss of my mum and sister, and drinking was the only way he thought helped. 

Suddenly, the crying stopped and he slowly walked towards me, pointing. "Remember what I told you," he whispered. "Remember?" I backed up until my back was against the wall with no-where to escape. His voice began to rise. "I told you....that if you told ANYONE, I would kill you....Remember?" I nodded, wide eyed as I remember the time he held me against the wall and breathed the same cruel words into my ear. 

I glanced around frantically for help. The police officers were calling for backup and Danny, Mark and Glen stood in the doorway in utter shock of the situation. A quick movement caught the corner of my eye. I looked back at my dad to see that he had took his belt off and was holding it in his hands, anger drowning his eyes. He whipped the heavy, leather belt at my legs. They gave out and I fell to the ground, my head hitting the wall. Officer Green grabbed my dads arms and tried to drag him away from me which only made him worse. He lashed the belt at me again, striking my stomach. My hands covered my mouth as I screamed in pain. When they finally got him away from me, I felt a hand slip into mine and I looked up so my eyes met Danny's. He helped my up onto my feet as I watched my dad tried to punch the officers away. I grabbed my bag and made a run for the door. 

"Wait!" my dad yelled. I stopped in my tracks and turned to face him. "You're going to pay for this," he threatened. "Just you wait." He laughed and picked up a vase from the fireplace.

"Come on Faye, we need to go," Glen whispered. But I couldn't move. My feet were glued to the floor as my eyes followed my dad's hand. The vase flew out of his hand and crashed against my shoulder, the small shards of glass cutting into my arms. That's when Glen grabbed my hand and pulled me outside towards the car. But I couldn't walk. Everything was going fuzzy. Eventually my vision went black and I fell onto something cold and hard.