Before Everything Had Happened

Bit of a spelling error in the previous chapter. I've fixed it but just wanted to inform you. Also, today's my last friggin day of school for the year. OH GOD I'M SO HAPPY!!!1!!

Phobetor's POV.

"Yes. You are a god." I nodded,"You really are. But if there's one thing you know I am, it sure as hell isn't me being a demigod. You know damn well how you got that power. And it sure as hell wasn't hard work."

"Ah. It's been so long since I've been able to talk as myself." He grinned arrogantly,"So what? Getting angry because your father naively believed me trustworthy?"

"Phobetor was a good man. And you damn well know it. He was your wife's father!"

"Anyone who opposes me will meet the same fate. You, are an exception."

"You stole my father's throne. My father gave your daughter a chance! You repay him with a stab in the back?"

"I wouldn't even call it a backstab. That man was so trusting that I could bring a fucking army around Arcadia and he'd believe it a parade."

"Bastard!"

"Oh come on we both know how this is going to end. You've been at it for years, can't you tell? You're beginning to forget. You could have won when you met her at her debut. But you completely forgot her."

"..." I remained silent, disallowing myself to believe it.

"Gods aren't omnipotent, we're just very close to the untouchable threshold. Your mother, Mnemosyne, is no exception. Her powers to allow remembrance after death are slowly fading. Just give up, Phobetor. Join under my rule. It's not that bad, really. You just have to forget about her is all." His voice was warm, inviting, his ability to switch between emotions so rapidly frightened me.

"...No." I clenched my hands,"I can't forget. To forget now...Is unacceptable."

"Your words grow lesser with each death. Your powers wane. You've even forgotten your drive."

Why...

Why do I fight?

A familiar voice rang out in my head.

A voice I'd never grow tired of hearing even after all these years.

Why would would want to be a perfectionist?

You're already perfect in my eyes.

"..."

That's right.

I remember.

I...I have to keep on fighting.

"Ambrosia."

"Hm?"

"You're right. I'm stubborn. I'm beginning to forget. I'm a fool who believed you trustworthy. I'm a useless man who can't even protect his wife. I'm a worthless, unfilial son that can't even protect my own parents."

"But if there's one redeeming thing about me, it's that until I lose at the very last moment, I'll never stop being a huge fucking pain in your ass."

"I will beat you."

"You think I'll lose? Because of what, a mistake? What do you think I am, mortal?"

"Gods aren't omnipotent. The higher you rise to glory, the harder your fall from grace."

"We'll see. We'll see." His face grew blurrier and blurrier until he disappeared completely, the serenity of the room returning.

Standing up wordlessly, I walked over to my cupboard.