Chapter 9

Chapter 9

With fast beating heart I turned to the culprit and looked at her with narrowed eyes. "Oh my god, did you have to scare me like that?!" I gasped in shock, my hands resting on my chest.

My colleague touched the back of her head and laughed at my reaction. "Sorry, (Y/N). I haven't thought you would be scared like that," she apologized to me. My expression said something else. "I just wanted to make you aware of us," she revealed what she was aiming for and pointed out. My colleague stood there, whom I already know since my schooldays. They were always there for me when fate struck like a bolt and changed everything.

"We will miss you here so we've prepared a little surprise for you," the only male employee here said, pulled a small package behind his back out. Surprised with so much generosity and joy, I put my hands over my mouth and couldn't help but stare at everyone with tears in my eyes.

He handed the gift to me and demanded with a friendly tone: "Come on, (Y/N), open it!" The gift was wrapped in a yellow wrapping paper and had a red ribbon tied around it, which was tied into a nice bow. "I will. You know, you don't have to give me anything," I told them, before accepting the gift and bowing low. When I straightened up, I saw everyone rolling their eyes or shaking their heads.

Just as they asked me to, I opened the gift and had to hold back my tears, because they have given me something that I have wished for so long. "Thank you very much," I said quietly after a few seconds of silence. A brand new Samsung phone was inside. It was one of the newest models.

"W-Why?" I asked without knowing what else to say. "It should be a last present from us all," the female baker explained. She was the eldest here, the nicest of them all. "And don't forget to visit us again," she scolded like a mother who scolds his child for something. "I won't," I chuckled a bit dumbfounded, but overjoyed.

"We wish you all the best for your future", they wished me in chorus. Everyone hugged me and my workmate said, "We all hope you'll get rid of your stepmother and stepsister soon." "I don't know if I can ever get rid of them," I said dejectedly, not knowing exactly how I can escape my family. With this sentence I destroyed the good atmosphere. "I owe it to my father to stay with her!"

"Why do you think that, dear? Your father would have wanted the best for you and never such a life, "asked the old baker. The others also looked at me questioningly.

A single tear ran down my cheek as I realized that I must do something about my stepmother and stepsister. However, I can't t move because I have no money and the money they paid for my school fees. Also, six months before his accident, my father had high gambling debts, which I had to take after his death. Nobody knew about his problem, even me - as his daughter. I have failed! Since then, my stepmother is forcing me to pay her everything back. The money my father lost was a very high value.

"I-I don't know how it will go on," I sobbed softly. Since I did't want to look anyone in the eye, I looked stubbornly on the ground and cried. For me, the bottom seemed more interesting at that moment than my negative feelings. The floor was spotless thanks to our clean work. You could almost mirror yourself in it.

Sighing, she came up to me and took me in a motherly embrace. "You already have a friend in Seoul," she tried to cheer me up. She continued, "You looked so happy today when you talked to the girl earlier."

With the backs of my hands, I wiped my tears from my face away, sniffled, and gently pulled away from her. "Thank you," I thanked her with a slight smile. She answered it with a shake of her head and patted me once more on the shoulder. The others gave me a smile that should get me back on my feet. "You have to make your way slowly to the bus to Seoul," explained my colleague from behind.

"Yeah, but first I'll have to change my clothes," I chuckled as I looked at my sometimes filthy work clothes. Of course, I didn't want to show myself in it in public,. I would rather put on my normal clothes. "In any case, you have to do it, (Y/N). But fast! The bus will otherwise leave without you at 20:30 ... You certainly don't want that, "she chatted cheerfully and sent me back to the room so I can change my clothes.

"Yeah," I murmured and made myself into the back area. Once there, peeled off my work clothes. I slipped into my clothes, which I had before work. After changing my clothes I folded the work clothes neatly and put them with a sad smile on a chair. "How sad ...", I mumbled, stroking my work clothes the last time.

Then I started back to the others. "And?", I said and turned round. "Is everything okay with my clothes?"

"Now 100%," laughed the male waiter. He winked at me too. "I'll go now," I whispered, putting my present in a bag that I forgot here a few days ago. Before leaving the shop, I hugged each one more time and disappeared with a greeting.

I stopped in front of the door one last time and took a deep breath and made my way to the bus stop where the meeting point is. My stepmother just wrote me a text message where I have to go. Of course she had send it to me in my old phone. She don't have to know about it yet.

From far away I could already see the bus. Many people stood in front of it or even talked to relatives, friends or any people. Since I did not feel like talking to anyone, I told the bus driver who I was. He just nods and says that my stepmother has already paid for me. I took the ticket he, which he had hold to me and took me to the very back, where I will hopefully can have my peace.

I can't have my peace, because a boy with a hood on his head sat next to me and started to speak.