Chapter 27

Jinyoung and Jaebum had been tiptoeing around each other for the past few days. Not exactly ignoring each other but also not initiating any conversations themselves if it hadn't been for the other three boys. No one thought too much into it though, figuring that they were just as stressed about everything like them. No one except for Youngjae knew about their fight.

Jackson chose to spend more lunch breaks with his boyfriend to avoid the awkwardness and although Namjoon was thrilled to the extent that he couldn't hide his dimpled smile when Jackson sat next to him, he also saw how tense the blond was and the smile faded, being replaced by a frown.

When did everything become such a mess?

Surprisingly it was the quietest of the broken group of friends that snapped first.

Mark had wanted to surprise his boyfriend with a small bouquet of flowers he knew that Youngjae loved as a small something to cheer him up. The latest events had really taken its toll on the younger and Mark's heart ached to see him in such distress.

Youngjae's mum had let him in with a bright grin on her face and ushered him upstairs to her son's room as soon as her eyes fell on the flowers Mark had firmly grabbed in his hands. He didn't need to be told twice and skipped up the stairs, taking two at once from time to time.

Just as he was about to knock on Youngjae's door he heard a choked sob from the other side and something cold stirred in the bottom of his stomach and he gently opened the door without bothering to knock.

Sure enough this boyfriend was wrapped up in his blankets and cried his eyes out as he hugged one of his pillows. The sight shattered Mark's heart and he dropped the flowers onto the floor before walking up to Youngjae. The tall boy carefully lowered himself and sat next to Youngjae on the bed who had lifted his head in surprise and stared at him with puffy eyes. As soon as Mark was comfortable Youngjae tossed away his pillow and opted to snuggle against Mark's side instead as sobs shook through his body again. The younger of the two squished his face into the fabric of Mark's shirt and the boy rubbed small circles on Youngjae's back while muttering quiet 'i've got you's and 'i'm here's.

After some time Youngjse seemed to have calmed down but Mark already knew better than that. After the first round of crying Youngjae would seem fine till he thought back to what made him sad and would start to cry again.

Mark already had enough experience with that.

Now that the boy was quiet he played with Mark's fingers and listened to his heartbeat, finding a special kind of comfort that only Mark could give him.

The latter pressed a kiss on his head and Youngjae smiled against his chest.

"What's wrong baby?" Mark dared to ask and as soon as the words got out of his mouth he wanted nothing more than take them back again. Youngjae's fist tightened in Mark's shirt as tears welled up in his eyes again and he mumbled something barely audible and he wouldn't have heard it if he hadn't paid so much attention.

"Jinyoung and-" The rest was cut off by sniffles.

At that Mark tensed up in annoyance and slight anger. Of course.

As much he would have loved to be angry at Jinyoung now he had a crying boy in his arms that needed all his attention and Mark was more than willing to give him all of it without a second of hesitation.

"I'm here for you sweetie" He mumbled and pulled Youngjae closer.

When the younger had fallen asleep, too tired out from crying to stay awake, Mark wriggled himself out of Youngjae's embrace and when the sleeping boy let out a low whine Mark's heart shattered just a little bit more.