Chapter 25

"They're growing so fast!" Honeypaw purred, watching Bluekit, Windkit and Snowkit climb over their mother.

"I know." Cherryleaf purred. "It seems like just yesterday they were born." She flicked her tail as Snowkit pounced on it and dug her tiny little claws into it. "They'll be eating fresh-kill soon too."

"Exciting." Honeypaw purred. She caught the attention of Windkit who stumbled over Cherryleaf's paw.

"You're a medicine cat, right?" Windkit squeaked, her deep blue eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"I am." Honeypaw looked down at the tiny kit.

"What do medicine cats do?" Windkit tilted her head.

"Well," Honeypaw sat down, Bluekit's and Snowkit's attention had been grabbed as well. "Pebblestep and I use herbs to treat sickness or injuries. When your mother had you we gave her herbs to keep her strength up and give you milk. We also communicate with StarClan and provide messages to Dawnstar."

"Speaking of," Cherryleaf mewed. "Isn't tonight the half-moon?" She questioned.

Honeypaw nodded. "It's the first time we'll all be going to the Spirit Garden. We're all excited."

"Aren't you the only one who has seen it?" Squirreltail spoke up from the other side of the nursery.

"I've only seen it in my dream, and I'm pretty sure Roseheart has seen it. Timbertail said he was going to get his nine lives the night after the gathering." Honeypaw explained. "But I'm still really excited to see if it's as beautiful as it was in my dream."

"I want to see it!" Bluekit jumped up. "Will I ever get to see the Spirit Garden?"

"Well," Cherryleaf wrapped her tail around her three daughters. "If we hold the old tradition, you'll see it during your apprenticeship."

"When will we become apprentices?"Snowkit asked her mew in a half-whine. "I want to see it too!"

"You still have about five moons to wait." Cherryleaf purred. "But I promise it will come in the blink of an eye."

The kits seemed satisfied and Honeypaw let out a purr. "Well I should go get prepared for the half-moon, it's a long ways away." She dipped her head and let the queens rest and the kits play. Honeypaw made the short walk from the nursery to the medicine cat den. They had been in this hollow for half a moon now and it was already feeling like home.

The medicine den was full of nests for any sick or injured cats they might deal with. They kept their herbs in a safe little crack in the wall that was big enough for an entire forest of herbs. Herbs were still scarce due to leaf-bare but they had managed to find a little bit, more than they had gotten back in their old home. Honeypaw knew that once newleaf came around they would be stocked up on herbs completely.

"Are you ready to go?" Pebblestep asked Honeypaw once she stepped inside.

"Incredibly so." Honeypaw purred. "I haven't been able to get this place out of my head since I dreamed of it."

"I hope it is as beautiful as you described it." Pebblestep moved across the den, taking one last look to make sure it was tidied. "Let's get going, SunClan has the farthest to travel so we should leave as soon as we can."

"Sounds good." Honeypaw walked beside her mentor as they left camp. It was just before sunset and Honeypaw hoped they would be there in time, if not earlier. Honeypaw had spent time exploring SunClan's brand new territory and she was already starting to learn it. She wanted to memorize everything about it, and she couldn't wait to see the forest in full bloom in newleaf and greenleaf.