Chapter 22

Nightheart let out a yawn, glancing at Rabbitpaw who was just barely waking up. Nightheart had felt Rabbitpaw twitching in her sleep. It used to annoy Nightheart but now she felt concerned. I wonder if it's nightmares. Nightheart wondered, worried for her friend. Nightheart sat up and smoothed down her fur before glancing around the den. Tallsong, Pigeonpelt and Rainpaw were already gone, presumably to explore their future camp.

Nightheart didn't really care for MoonClan's territory. It was barren and even colder than it was in even SunClan's territory. Nightheart already missed the new AshClan territory, the pine trees were lush and beautiful. She had been incredibly upset when Pigeonpelt forced them to move on without finding AshClan's camp.

Despite her annoyance, Nightheart kept her mouth shut and just explored the territories with her patrol. She wished that she didn't have to travel with Falconheart, despite him becoming a warrior and whatever Blackpaw said about him, Nightheart knew he was still as arrogant as ever.

Nightheart was also convinced that Blackpaw was only saying that because of his weird feelings for Honeypaw. She was starting to become annoyed of Honeypaw as well. Who does that she-cat think she is? She needs to leave my brother alone. Nightheart shook away her irritated thoughts and left the den.

As the chilly morning air ruffled Nightheart's fur she shivered and clenched her teeth. Stupid leaf-bare. It was just after dawn, the sun peeking through the clouds in the pale sky. Nightheart looked around the new camp. Pigeonpelt, Tallsong and Rainpaw were exploring an old badger den on the other side of the camp.

"I hope we get moving soon." Nightheart heard a tired mew from behind her. She looked over her shoulder and saw Flamepetal stepping out of the rockpile den. "I want to get settled into our new camp."

"And I want to find mine." Nightheart said quietly.

"You will." Flamepetal brushed her tail across Nightheart's pelt for a moment before stepping forwards and going to the MoonClan cats. Nightheart sat outside the den, waiting patiently for the other cats to wake up.

The last cat to wake up was Twigheart, the old she-cat stood up and stretched once she got out. "Skies look cloudy." The LichenClan she-cat mewed while glancing up at the sky. "Hopefully it doesn't snow while we're travelling, I'd hate for this to be a three day trip."

"We should leave, then." Pigeonpelt mewed as they approached the rest of the patrol. "We don't know how much ground we have left to cover."

After a quick morning hunting a session and a bird that Nightheart shared with Rabbitpaw and Lilyclaw. She wasn't completely satisfied, but Nightheart wanted to continue and she knew that the others did too.

They left MoonClan's future camp to explore the rest of the moorland. Right behind the camp they discovered a frozen pond which overjoyed Rainpaw. Nightheart didn't share Rainpaw's love of swimming, but she was glad that MoonClan had a territory that they would enjoy.

Nightheart walked alongside Rabbitpaw, keeping quiet and listening passively to the conversations of the cats around her.

"So is Larkclaw going to be Timbertail's deputy?" Lilyclaw asked Twigheart. "She seems to be taking the role of it."

Twigheart nodded. "Timbertail has already said that Larkclaw would be his deputy. Some are concerned because they're kin, but Mossleaf was Jaggedstar's niece. Timbertail and Larkclaw are close friends and I think she'll make a fine deputy."

"She's always seemed like a competent cat. Has Roseheart talked about taking an apprentice any time soon?" Lilyclaw wondered.

"Krestlekit and Briarkit haven't shown any interest but there's always Leafsong's kits. It would be nice for Roseheart to mentor one of her nieces." Twigheart purred.