Chapter 21

Falconheart took a drink from the chilly river. He knew that this river went through what would be AshClan territory but he hoped that SunClan would have a river in their territory. The only one they had before was right near the border to the gathering hollow. Falconheart took a step back from the river and shook his pelt free of pine needles and snow, he had no idea how AshClan could stand living in this forest of pine needles. He flicked his tail with annoyance, all night he had been pulling the stupid needles out of his pelt. He hoped that he wouldn't have to stay here much longer.

"Cats of the Clans!" Falconheart looked over his shoulder as he heard his mother's call. "Gather around! We have chosen the cats for the journey around the territories." Falconheart took one last drink and hurried over to where the Clans had gathered. He sat down beside Lionclaw near the front of the group, waiting patiently for the announcements.

"Now that we're all gathered," Shadowstar began. "We will be announcing the cats who are going." He looked over the crowd. "Pigeonpelt, Tallsong and Rainpaw from MoonClan will be going." The cats of MoonClan stood up, Rainpaw looking particularly excited, and stood together.

Timbertail stepped forward. "Stumptail, Twigheart and Brackenheart will be going for LichenClan.

Riverstar spoke up next. "From AshClan I will be sending, Lilyclaw, Nightheart and Rabbitpaw." Falconheart noticed that Rabbitpaw didn't exactly look thrilled, her eyes filled with trepidation and she lowered her head. Falconheart wondered how a cat could be so skittish, Rainpaw was younger than her and she couldn't wait to get going.

"Finally," Dawnstar started, looking over her Clan. "I've chosen Flamepetal, Sedgepaw and Falconheart." Falconheart lifted his head, blinking in slight surprise. Falconheart stood up, excited that he was going to be one of the first to see the new territories.

"You all should set out as soon as possible." Riverstar instructed. "I'd expect it to take you all at least two days if you explore each territory thoroughly."

"We should leave now." Pigeonpelt mewed, instantly taking charge. Falconheart knew that Pigeonpelt was the oldest warrior here, just older than Twigheart. Normally Falconheart would complain about having to follow the orders of another Clan cat, but he had been doing that for the past moon, he would be okay doing it for a few more days.

"Where are we going to start?" Tallsong questioned her Clanmate.

"We should head that way," Pigeonpelt motioned with his head. "We'll search each territory thoroughly. We'll only be covering half of what I assume will be AshClan territory and if we don't find a camp for AshClan we'll search the other half.

"Sounds like a plan to me." Lilyclaw nodded her head as did Nightheart and Rabbitpaw. Falconheart flattened his ears, he was less than excited about having to travel with Nightheart. Somehow, she knew about his training with Falconclaw. Though he had no idea how a cat from another Clan would even figure that out. His own Clanmates, with the exception of Honeypaw had no idea and even Honeypaw didn't know who he was training with.

"Let's head out." Pigeonpelt mewed and with some farewells to their Clanmates, the group of cats headed out away from their makeshift camp. Falconheart looked around as they began their first moments of exploration. Falconheart sniffed around the territory, it was covered in snow but he knew it wouldn't last for long. As great as pine trees were, Falconheart longed to see SunClan's future territory.

The patrol searched the pine forest, looking for different features that AshClan could use in their new territory. On the other side of the river they found a sandy area that Lilyclaw and Nightheart agreed could be used for an apprentice training area. Falconheart walked alongside Flamepetal and Sedgepaw as the cats searched the pine forest.