Chapter 15

Blackpaw ran as fast as he could back to the barn. He couldn't shake the horrible look in Hornet's eyes and the look of pure terror on Honeypaw's face. I couldn't protect her. Blackpaw ran faster. I'm useless. The barn soon came into view and Blackpaw pushed himself to run faster despite his burning lungs. He reached the entrance and pushed his way inside. I need to tell Dawnstar first. He spotted Dawnstar talking with Lionclaw, Cinderflame and Turtleblaze near the center of the barn.

Blackpaw ran over to her. "Dawnstar!" He cried out, getting her attention immediately. Dawnstar stood up, looking at Blackpaw with concern in her green eyes.

"Blackpaw? What's wrong?"

"I was out getting herbs with Honeypaw when this group of rogues showed up," Dawnstar's ears flattened. "Their leader, Hornet, said that they led the coyotes to us to try and drive us out and since it didn't work they took Honeypaw and saying that if we don't leave they'll kill her."

"What?" Lionclaw stood, amber eyes blazing and his claws unsheathed against the wood floor of the barn. "Where are they?"

"He said to meet at the place where he took her at moonhigh. He said if we didn't leave or if we tried to fight he would kill Honeypaw."

"I'd like to see him try." Lionclaw growled. "I'll tear him apart!"

"Blackpaw go get Riverstar and Timbertail, we need to discuss this but I'm not letting my daughter die!" Blackpaw didn't hesitate, he found Riverstar with Ashblaze and Timbertail with Larkclaw.

"Honeypaw was taken by rouges demanding that we leave or they'll kill her." Riverstar's eyes went wide as Blackpaw explained what was going on, Blackpaw himself couldn't calm his racing heartbeat. How could I let this happen? "Dawnstar wants to talk with the leaders."

Blackpaw followed Riverstar, Timbertail and their deputies back to Dawnstar. On the way they brought Violetfur along as well. The rest of the Clans had figured out that something was up and were watching the leaders. "How many cats were there, Blackpaw?" Riverstar questioned.

"A lot, but I bet there's more." Blackpaw explained, trying to keep his voice from shaking. "He said we were on their territory and they wanted us out. That's why they brought the coyotes."

"We can't leave." Violetfur argued. "Mosswind's kits will die in the cold!"

"We can't just let them kill Honeypaw!" Pebblestep spoke up from the crowd.

"Honeypaw is your daughter, Dawnstar." Timbertail spoke up over the arguing. "What do you think we should do?"

"We can't leave." Dawnstar said, her voice quiet and cold. There was a genuine rage in her eyes, Blackpaw didn't think he had ever seen Dawnstar look this angry before. "But I refuse to let my daughter be killed by some flea-bitten rogue. I say we fight them."

"Hornet said that if we'd fight he'd kill her." Blackpaw told her, fearing even more Honeypaw's life.

"He won't be able to." Dawnstar lashed her tail. "I won't let him. Honeypaw is my daughter, I won't let her die."

"Is fighting a good idea?" Roseheart mewed from the sidelines. "We're still recovering from the coyotes."

"If you don't want to risk any of your warriors, I understand." Dawnstar closed her eyes. "But SunClan will be fighting these rogues, there's not a single warrior in my Clan who wouldn't give everything to protect Honeypaw."

"No, Dawnstar." Blackpaw watched his leader step forward. "You will not be fighting this alone, AshClan will be joining you. Honeypaw has helped the Clans just as much as the other medicine cats. During this journey we are not four Clans, but one." Riverstar met Dawnstar's gaze, they shared a look of respect.

"MoonClan will be joining as well." Blackpaw heard the deep, raspy voice of Shadowstar. They turned to see him on his paws standing a few taillengths away. "I will be unable to fight, but Honeypaw helped bring three MoonClan kits into the world today, she deserves to be saved."

"LichenClan will help as well." Timbertail added. "Surely they don't have enough cats to match four Clans, even if we spare some of our warriors that are injured. We will show these rogues what happens when you challenge the four Clans."

Blackpaw looked at the four leaders, feeling inspired. Part of him wished he could really fight, he wished he could show Hornet the anger he felt inside. He hurt Honeypaw and he deserves to feel the same fear that she's feeling right now. Blackpaw lashed his tail. But I'm just a medicine cat. I need to heal my Clanmates, so they can go get Honeypaw.

A cat pushed past Blackpaw, he regained his balance to see that it was Falconpaw who had stormed past. Blackpaw glared at the golden brown tabby, but relaxed as he realized the rage he must be feeling. Honeypaw is his sister, I would feel the same if it was Nightpaw who had gotten taken.

"When are we going to fight?" Falconpaw demanded, staring at his parents with fierce amber eyes.

"I don't know if I want you fighting, Falconpaw." Dawnstar admitted, her voice stern.

"Excuse me?" Falconpaw flattened his ears. "There's no way you're keeping me from this fight. Honeypaw is my sister! I'd die protecting her and you know it. If you don't let me fight I'm just going to follow you anyway, you know that right?"

Dawnstar sighed. "I don't want both of my kits in danger."

"Mother, I'm not a kit anymore." Falconpaw growled. "I'm almost a warrior and it's my duty as a member of this Clan to protect my Clanmates and I will protect them, even if I die trying. That's the oath all warriors take."

Dawnstar closed her eyes, thinking for a moment. "Very well, Falconpaw. You can fight. We will attack them tonight, our main goal is to get Honeypaw away from them before she can get seriously hurt."

Blackpaw turned away, leaving the leader's to discuss their more in depth plan that he wouldn't be apart of. He heard pawsteps beside him and looked up to see Nightpaw padding up to him. "I can't believe that happened." Nightpaw mewed. "I'm so glad they didn't take you." She stood close, nuzzling his cheek.

"I wish they would've." Blackpaw sighed, staring at his paws.

"What?" Nightpaw stepped back. "Why?"

"Because Honeypaw didn't deserve to be taken." Blackpaw replied sharply. "

"You don't deserve it either," Nightpaw flattened her ears slightly. "We'll get Honeypaw back, why are you so worried about her anyway? I understand she's a medicine cat too but--"

"She's my friend, Nightpaw!" Blackpaw snapped without control, Nightpaw jumped back slightly. "Imagine if Rabbitpaw had been taken from right beside you and you couldn't do anything to help her. How would that make you feel?"

Nightpaw's eyes widened slightly and she took another step back. "I'm sorry, Blackpaw, I didn't know."

Blackpaw turned away, he felt slightly guilty for yelling at Nightpaw but his mind had been so filled with fear and worry for Honeypaw that part of him didn't really care. I won't be happy until Honeypaw is back home and safe. No matter what it takes.