Chapter 20

Blackpaw walked beside Skyfeather lost in his thoughts. He thought of the home that he had seen in his dream. The perfect camp for AshClan, with everything they needed and more. He longed to be there, to be back inside a medicine cat den with herbs. The four Clans living their lives as they had back in the forest. What awaits for us there? Will it be full of herbs and prey? Blackpaw had an incredibly strong feeling that it would be, that it would be perfect for his Clanmates. Hailkit, Sagekit, Dewkit, Mistkit and Slatekit would all grow up there. All future kits would be born in that nursery.

After just one day of travel, the Clans were approaching the mountains. Though the day drew to a close, Blackpaw was certain they would find their new homes by tomorrow night at the latest. Blackpaw didn't know what to feel, he was so happy that his Clans would find their homes. His Clanmates would be safe and sound in their new camp, able to live safe and happy lives.

But... Blackpaw looked over at Honeypaw, she was deep in conversation with Pebblestep and Oneflight near Ravenheart. I'll have to say goodbye to her. We won't get to see each other every day, only during the gatherings and half-moons. He let out a saddened sigh, he wondered if Honeypaw even cared. Does she feel the same way about me? Blackpaw shook his head. I shouldn't feel that way about her.

Blackpaw stared at her paws. Maybe it's for the best that we're returning to our separate Clans. He took a deep breath, trying to get Honeypaw out of his mind. He had many more things to focus on. They had to not only make sure their new home was full of herbs but they had to find a place to hold gatherings and perhaps even more challenging, find a place to communicate with StarClan. Would they find another moonstone? They had to, the needed a way to speak with StarClan.

Blackpaw kept his mind on the new territory, his new camp, his new home. If I can just focus on that... Blackpaw told himself, taking a deep, shaky breath. He thought about the camp that he had seen in his dream. The camp rested at the base of the towering mountains. Both the leader's den and the medicine cat were caves in the side of the stone, perfect for holding herbs and sick cats.

When he had been in the cap the air had been filled with the wonderful scent of pine trees, he already knew what he was looking for. It really will be a perfect camp for AshClan. Blackpaw reminded himself, he was genuinely happy that his Clan would be safe and thriving in this new camp.

"Hey there!" A cheerful voice pulled Blackpaw out of his thoughts. He looked to his side to see Nightheart trotted up beside him. "You look so down," She pointed out. "I'd thought you'd be happy, we're almost to our new home!"

"I am happy." Blackpaw assured her. "I'm just nervous, there's still a lot we have to do once we get there before we return to normal Clan life. We need to find a gathering place, a place to communicate with StarClan, we need to place borders between the territories, we--"

"Blackpaw," Nightheart cut him off. "Don't worry so much about it. Right now you should just be focused on getting there. I'm sure we'll figure everything out with time." She nudged him. "Keep your chin up."

"Sorry." Blackpaw replied awkwardly, flattening his ears slightly. "There's just a lot on my mind."

"Understandable." Nightheart nodded. "I wish I could've been made a warrior in the new territory but it was pretty cool that I was made a warrior on the journey. Even if I did have to share my ceremony with Falconheart."

Blackpaw shrugged. "He's not that bad, or at least not anymore."

"I suppose." Nightheart flicked her tail. "There's still something I don't like about him." She let out a sigh. "I shouldn't think about it too much, I won't have to deal with him here soon.

Blackpaw nodded. "We'll all be back in our own territories."

"I have to admit it's going to be weird." Nightheart added. "I've gotten used to hunting with cats from the other Clans."

"Soon we'll be back to being enemies." Blackpaw responded, his voice low.

"Wow," Nightheart looked at Blackpaw with playful skepticism. "Way to be a downer, we don't have to be enemies. I highly doubt we'll go back to fighting right away. We'll have to work together for a while yet." Blackpaw just nodded, Nightheart narrowed her eyes. "Are you sure there's not something more? You seem really upset about something."

Blackpaw avoided her gaze, he had always thought he would tell Nightheart everything, no matter what. But he couldn't tell her about Honeypaw. "I'm sure." Blackpaw replied, finally looking back at her. "I'm just stressed." Blackpaw rested his tail on her shoulders. "I'll be okay once we figure everything out, I promise."

"Alright." Nightheart was very clearly unconvinced but she dropped the subject with Blackpaw was incredibly grateful.
The Clans continued their journeyed for the rest of the day, stopping to sleep in a small abandoned twoleg nest then continued bright and early the next morning. Blackpaw could see the mountains already, they were less than a half-day's travel away. He walked in silence, not talking to anyone while the Clans travelled. He watched Honeypaw who was having a conversation with Falconheart, Nightheart who was with Rabbitpaw and Primrosepaw and Skyfeather who was also remaining silent.

As they travelled, the grass turned to stone and the mountains towered over head. The Clans had to leap up onto ledges, walking through a deep valley. In the distance Blackpaw could see trees. That's it. Blackpaw blinked, staring at the faint outline of the forest. That's our new home.

Excitement was vibrating from the Clan cats as they neared, they could all feel it as well. Even Blackpaw was feeling excited, it was still snowy but it could picture the beautiful trees in full bloom during newleaf. It really is a thing to celebrate.

The Clans continued their travels through the valley, a breeze picked up through the mountains and Blackpaw could smell pine trees. He lifted his head, the smell reminded him of home. This will be home, I just have to find it. All of AshClan were perked up now, they could smell the pine trees and were excited to see their new home.

The pine trees were soon in sight, tall and strong with all their deep green needles. Blackpaw hadn't seen strong pine trees like this in such a long time, they were such a beautiful sight in leaf-bare. The Clans reached the edge of the pine tree forest and Blackpaw couldn't believe his eyes.

The ground was covered in snow but the trees stood tall, nearly blocking out the sun. Blackpaw closed his eyes and breathed in the scent of pine. Suddenly, he was back in AshClan's old camp. Surrounded by the protective trees. He could hear the rustling of the needles and the safety of his camp.

He opened his eyes once more. But this isn't the old territory, He reminded himself. This is our new territory. Blackpaw looked towards Riverstar as she lifted her head to speak. "Cats of the Clans, I'm sure you can all feel it the same way I can." She looked over her shoulder towards the forest. "This is the beginning of our new home."

Cheers rang out from every single cat, the kits and young apprentices jumped around with excitement. Even Blackpaw felt excitement surging through his veins, he looked around feeling a sense of joy and hope for the first time in a long time. "I think we should rest here for the night," Dawnstar mewed. "And send out a group of cats in the morning to explore the territory."

"I agree." Shadowstar nodded. "They will explore the entire territory and find camps for each Clan. We can send three cats from each Clan so we know what we're looking for."

The Clans agreed and settled down, the deputies sent out hunting parties and the Clans found places to sleep for the night. Blackpaw laid down in a makeshift nest beside Skyfeather. Not far from him, Blackpaw could Honeypaw sleeping soundly. He let out a slight sigh, his earlier fears and sadness creeping up on him once more.

He closed his eyes, trying to forget about Honeypaw and focus on his new home. In the next few days I'll be in my home. My new den with my Clanmates. Just focus on that. Blackpaw told himself over and over, longing for the feeling to go away, but every time he just saw Honeypaw's bright green eyes. His heart felt frozen, and he wasn't sure what could possibly fix it.