Chapter 14

Honeypaw looked over the wounds of Cinderflame and Applespots, they were almost fully healed and both she-cats were back to their normal selves. Most of the medicine cats with the exception of Honeypaw and Oneflight had gone out to find herbs in the twolegplace leaving the two of them to care for their Clanmates. Most of them had recovered from their wounds fully with the exception of Shadowstar who was still recovering from his fatal wound. As Honeypaw put away the herbs she a cry of pain sound through the barn making Honeypaw jump. She saw Oneflight keeling over Mosswind who was crying in pain.

"I think so." Mosswind panted.

Oneflight turned to Honeypaw. "The other medicine cats are out, you and I need to deliver these kits. Will you help me?" Honeypaw saw a sense of duty and courage in Oneflight's eyes. She nodded.

"I will, do we have any herbs for kitting here?" Honeypaw questioned the MoonClan medicine cat apprentice.

He nodded. "Pebblestep and Ravenheart have been gathering them in preparation for Cherryleaf and Mosswind. We should have chervil, ragwort and some raspberry leaves in the herb stock. Could you go get them?"

Honeypaw agreed and quickly ran across the barn to where the medicine cats had been staying. There was a small hole in the wall where they had been storing their herbs. Honeypaw sniffed around the leaves until she found the three herbs that Oneflight had told her about. She grabbed them, wrapped them in a large oak leaf and hurried back over to Oneflight, Mosswind and Swiftheart.

A lot of the Clans had gathered around as well, but Oneflight urged everyone to give them space. Swiftheart had found a stick for Mosswind to use as she gave birth to her kits. "Okay, Mosswind you're doing great." Oneflight assured her, giving the herbs that Honeypaw brought a quick sniff. "Your kits will be here soon."

"They better be." Mosswind growled. "I can't take much more of this." She lashed her tail then let out another cry of pain. Honeypaw winced, but she knew this was all part of the process. She had only helped one queen give birth and it had been Goldenleaf on her first day of being an apprentice. Now she was helping a queen from another Clan, and she seemed a lot more sharp tempered than Goldenleaf had been.

Oneflight stayed by Mosswind's side, encouraging her while Swiftheart whispered soothing words to keep her calm. The tortoiseshell let out a piercing cry and a small bundle fell into the hay behind her. "Honeypaw, get that kit." Oneflight instructed and Honeypaw hurried to grab the small kit, licking its fur along it's spine. It didn't take long for the kit to start crying out, mewling for its mother. Honeypaw kept lapping at the kit's pale tortoiseshell fur and let Oneflight continue to help Mosswind.

It didn't take long for two more kits to be born. A speckled gray tom and a beautiful silver she-cat. Along with the kit Honeypaw had, all three were set at Mosswind's belly to nurse. They instantly took to their mother and starting nursing hungrily. Mosswind and Swiftheart watched their kits with pure love in their eyes.

"Do you have any names for them?" Oneflight asked, giving Mosswind some raspberry leaves.

"We do." Mosswind purred. "This is Shellkit, Minnowkit and Meadowkit." Mosswind motioned to the speckled tom, the silver she-cat and the tortoiseshell in turn.

"Wonderful names." Oneflight purred, looking down at the kits. "Welcome to MoonClan little warriors."

"Thank you, Oneflight." Mosswind wrapped her tail around her kits. "And thank you Honeypaw." Honeypaw met Mosswind's eyes. "Pebblestep has trained you well, you'll make a wonderful medicine cat."
"Thank you." Honeypaw dipped her head to the queen then let her rest with her kits. Soon after, the medicine cats returned and Ravenheart rushed to meet his new Clanmates, praising both Honeypaw and Oneflight for helping Mosswind.