Chapter 4

"I don't want to eat those!" Sagekit spat, lashing her tiny tail. "They taste gross." The tiny gray tabby she-cat sat down and stuck her nose in the air. Blackpaw fought back the urge to groan.

"You need to, dear." Puddleclaw nuzzled her daughter. "It will help you." Sagekit looked at her sister, Hailkit who didn't look happy about having to eat herbs. "They will keep your strength up."

"Why don't Mistkit, Dewkit and Slatekit have to take them?" Sagekit demanded, glaring at Blackpaw.

"Silvermoon took them and they will get to her kits by her milk. You want to stay strong don't you? Or do you want someone taking care of you at all times?" Blackpaw questioned, Sagekit dropped her ears. "If you take these herbs then I'll leave you alone."

Sagekit snorted and took a bite of the ragwort that Blackpaw had provided. Following her sister, Hailkit did the same. Both kits made a disgusted face as they swallowed the herb and had to stop themselves from spitting it out. "Thank you." Blackpaw sighed with relief, that had taken much longer than he had wanted. "I'll have one of the apprentices send a mouse your way."

"Cool! Thanks, Blackpaw!" Sagepaw bounded around her sister, the herb situation already forgotten. At least kits don't hold grudges.

"Thank you, Blackpaw." Silvermoon purred from her nest.

"No problem." Blackpaw dipped his head at the queen. "Let me or Skyfeather know if you need anything." Blackpaw gathered up the last remnants of the ragwort leaves and carried it back to the medicine at den.

In the past two moons it had become a mess of moss and herbs, their nests were unkempt and Skyfeather constantly looked like he had been fighting with a bramble thicket. The medicine cats fur wa ungroomed and his eyes dull with stress.

"Did the kits take the herbs?" Skyfeather asked without turning around, his voice strained.

"Yeah they did, Sagekit argued a bit but eventually ate them. We have a tiny bit of the ragwort left." Blackpaw explained, setting down the scraps of leaves he had after the kits.

"Put it with the other strength herbs. If tonight goes as planned then we'll be leaving soon. I want to have everything sorted for when the medicine cats combine what they have."

Blackpaw nodded and set down the ragwort with the small amount of juniper and burnett they had. He glanced at Skyfeather, feeling a moment of anxiety for his mentor. Blackpaw feared that fro all of his stress Skyfeather would cause himself to get sick. Blackpaw was stressed too, but Skyfeather would often go without sleep. He endlessly counted their herbs as if he were afraid the would just vanish.

I wish I could help him. Blackpaw wished, but there was nothing he could. The only thing that could help Skyfeather was more herbs, he wouldn't be happy until they found their new territory. Even then, none of them had any idea of how long it would take to find that territory. If they got their early then there wouldn't be many herbs due to the snow. I just hope we find a good home.

"It's almost time." Skyfeather stood up straight. "We need to prepare to leave for the gathering." He flicked his tail and started barely straightening up the den. When he finished there was still moss and twigs scattered across the floor.

Skyfeather at least took a few moments to smooth down his unkempt fur. "Let's go." Skyfeather left the medicine cat without waiting for Blackpaw who jumped to his paws and followed his mentor to the leader's den where the Clan was starting to gather. Skyfeather and Riverstar shared an uncomfortable gaze. Ever since their fight in front of the Clan, Skyfeather and Riverstar hadn't said a word to each other.