𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐝? (𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐩 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐬)

(( yes, i did my research on how people got drafted during the war lol. also this takes place in 1969, where soda and you are both 21 ))

I walked to the DX to see my boyfriend, Sodapop after his shift. I saw him at the counter talking to Steve. He noticed me at the door, and flashed me one of his million dollar smiles. I smiled back. I ran over to him and he picked me up and twirled me. 

"Hey Audrey." Soda said, nuzzling his face in the crook of my neck. I giggled and kissed his cheek.

"Hi babe. Wanna go to my house? I don't know, we can just watch TV or something." I asked. 

"Of course! Let's go. Bye, Steve!" Soda said, taking my hand in his. I waved slightly at Steve, and he waved back at us. We walked to my house, which was only about a couple of blocks away from the DX. When we got to my house, I unlocked the door and we went inside.

"You want a Coke?" I asked Soda, walking over to the kitchen and opening the fridge.

"Yeah," he shouted. He turned on the TV, and I heard the theme song of my favorite shows, I Love Lucy. I quickly grabbed two Cokes and a jar of Pringles and sat on the couch next to Soda. I handed him his Coke while he slipped his arm around my waist. I put my head on his shoulder and leaned into his chest. 

Halfway during the episode, the show was cut off by a national announcement.

"We interrupt your program with some breaking news. We have the results of the new Vietnam War Lottery." the man on the TV said. I gripped Soda's arm and looked at him. I felt his heartbeat increase.

"Any man born on October 8 or April 22 from ages 18-26 will be drafted in the Vietnam War. Make sure to sign up by next week. Thank you. Now we return with your program." the TV blared. I looked at Soda.

"Isn't your birthday October 8, babe?" I asked, a quiver in my voice. He nodded. I covered my mouth with my hands, and quickly hugged Sodapop. I heard a small sob escape from his lips.

"I'm getting drafted?" he whispered. I started crying with him. He squeezed me tight, both of us shocked. 

~~two weeks later~~

Ponyboy, Darry, Steve and I went to see Soda off before he went to training for the military. We dropped him off at the train station. 

"The train's here." Soda said. Ever since we found out that he was getting drafted, he wasn't his usual cheerful self. I figured he was still in shock, this was a major change in his life. 

"Bye, Steve. You're the best friend a guy could ask for." said Soda, giving Steve a bro hug.

"Darry, take care of Ponyboy for me. Pony, don't get into any trouble. You guys are the best brothers ever." Soda said. The three of them went into a group hug, Darry and Ponyboy crying a bit. Then, he turned to me.

"Audrey. I love you so much. I don't want to leave you. You are what keeps me sane. I would never have gotten up in the morning if it wasn't for you. Stay safe, take care of my brothers ans Steve for me. I love you." said Soda. I pulled him into a kiss, tears streaming down my cheeks. 

After we broke the kiss, Soda ran to the train and got on it. We all waved goodbye to Soda as the train started to leave. Darry put his hand on my shoulder as I started sobbing. I didn't want him to leave.

(( okay hi so i have two ideas for an ending for this. either soda comes back with ptsd, or he gets killed in battle. i'm heartless, i know. but i'm gonna leave this up to you, the readers. do you want ending one (soda comes back), or ending two (soda dies in battle). comment your choice. ))

(( also i'm so grateful for 300+ reads on this! tysm everyone!! :D ))