𝐢 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮. (𝐣𝐨𝐡𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐜𝐚𝐝𝐞)

It was a hot, summer night in Tulsa. I was on my way home from my shift at this new diner that just opened. Unfortunately, this diner was on the West side of town, while I lived on the east. So it's always fun to walk two hours from one side to the other.

I passed by the park, and saw a boy near the swings. It looked like he was gonna sleep there. I would not allow it. Not in this hot weather. I walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. He looked up at me with his wide black eyes.

"Hey, why you out here in this weather? It's way too hot," I tell him. He sits up a bit and rubs his neck, looking away.

"Oh, sometimes I sleep out here if I'm unwanted at home. I didn't realize it was hot as blazes out here," he replies. I gasp.

"Unwanted at home? What do you mean?" I say, putting my hand on his shoulder. He then proceeds to tell me the horrible story on how his parents neglect and abuse him. I hug him slightly.

"Do you have another place to stay, besides the park I guess. Any friends houses?" I ask, breaking the hug. He nods.

"I mean I could stay at my friend Ponyboy's, but," he says, trailing off.

"Oh, Ponyboy Curtis, I know him. I live about a block away from him. I'll drop you off there." I tell him. He nods, and we both stand up.

"I'm Rachel, by the way." I say.

"Johnny," he mumbles. I smile at him, and we walk. I tell him about my job at the diner, how Socs always try and hit on me, and the annoying walk. His eyes sparkle as he tells me about the gang he's in with his friends, and how they're always there for him.

We're enjoying our conversation until we hear a blue Mustang approach. It's filled to the brim with about seven Socs.  I recognize a few of them, since they are regulars at the diner. One of them opens the door and gets out of the car. I wince, and Johnny reaches into his pocket.

"Oh, hey, look who it is," the Soc says. I frown him while he takes a swig from his flask. Drunk, of course.

"Um, what do you want," I murmur, looking down.

"How's about you ditch this hunk of grease and come with us?" he says, pulling me towards him. His friends got out of the Mustang and smiled at me in a creepy way.

"No thank you, fix your attitude why don't you?" I say, pushing him off of me. Johnny put his hands on my shoulders, pulling me away slightly. I notice that he has a closed switchblade in his right hand.

"A feisty one, eh? Come here, doll," the Soc says, now him and his friend are pulling me toward the Mustang. I close my eyes in fear and pull away. It feels like they're all grabbing me, I have no idea what's going on. They push me on the floor, and I start sobbing.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you.." I hear Johnny whisper in my ear. I cower on the concrete, holding my knees to my chest and sobbing uncontrollably. I somehow manage to hear punching sounds and the Mustang driving off over my sobs. I feel someone hug me.

"Hey, it's okay. I beat them up f-for you. They're gone now. It's alright now." Johnny tells me. I sit up and hug him. I slowly calm down, hugging him while he rubs my back in reassurance. 

Eventually, we get up and walk to the Curtis house, hand in hand. Once we arrive, we stop in front of it to say goodbye. I stand on my toes and peck him on the lips.

"Thank you, for everything." I say. He blushes and smiles slightly at me. I reach into my purse and grab my pad of paper, and write my phone number down.

"Here's my number, if you want to talk anytime." I hand him the paper, and kiss him on the cheek. He waves goodbye to me and runs into the house. I smile down, and continue my journey home.