Chapter 5

~Mylie~

I get a ride home with Sadie after school, too lazy to walk. I think about Zach as I stare out the car window, sighing happily.

"How's your boyfriend?" Sadie jokes.

"He's not my boyfriend." I scoff.

"He's hot, and he clearly likes you, you clearly like him... He's your boyfriend." She states.

She's kinda right, but we barely know each other and we just met, AND we're not official. So, not my boyfriend.

"Well, we're not official yet then." I roll my eyes.

"Mhm, yet." She smirks as she turns onto my street.

Sadie parks and I hop out of the car, thank her for the ride, and walk up to the front door of my house. As I walk in, I am overwhelmed with arguing and yelling.

"Look at you!! You need to leave before My-" Jax stops mid-sentence as he sees me walk in the door.

I shut the door behind me slowly, shocked by the sight of my mother. She looks 20 pounds lighter, she's pale and sickly, I can see her elbow bones and her collarbone pokes out of her short black v-neck shirt. She has on light blue skinny jeans and her lower half looks a whole size smaller, my mom has always been on the thinner side, but I've never seen her this malnourished and just sick looking.

"M-Mom?" I stutter, my voice barely above a whisper, tears filling my eyes.

She gives me a sad smile and meets my eyes, she looks mostly expressionless, but there's a hint of sadness and longing.

"Hey My.." She says softly, her hands shaking and she itches her arms.

"Mom was just leaving, she needs money that no one here has," Jax states bluntly, glaring at our mother.

"You do have money, you're lying to me!" My mom suddenly snaps at him, catching me and Jax off guard.

"I spent the rest of our money on FOOD to feed us!! Why the fuck would I give you money to go buy more drugs anyway?!" Jax yells, stepping closer to her.

I wince slightly at those words, closing my eyes letting the tears stream down my face as I ball my fists, letting my fingernails dig into my skin. Why did she have to come here today, after having such a good day before all this bullshit.

My mother growled lowly like an animal and stomped towards the door, shoving past me like I meant nothing to her. The sound of the door slamming makes me jump and I immediately crumble to the ground, overwhelmed with anger and confusion and sadness. I scream and cry uncontrollably, covering my face with my hands, the sight of my mother looking the way she did broke me. She looked so ill and unhealthy, the only thing on her mind was money for drugs. She didn't ask us how we were doing, what's going on in our lives, nothing. She said two words to me then shoved me out of her way like I suddenly wasn't her daughter. I feel heartbroken...

"Hey hey hey.. You're alright, it's alright, please don't cry." Jax immediately runs up to me, sits next to me on the floor and pulls me into his arms as I broke down.

He rubs my back soothingly, shushing me and kissing the top of my head as I slowly calm down, I whimper loudly as my body tries to relax and stop shaking. Jax squeezes me tightly and keeps me engulfed in his arms, rocking us back and forth on the floor slowly.

"Shhh... It's alright Mylie, I'm here.. I'll always be here. I know our situation is pretty shit right now, but we're going to get through it. Just like how we did when we lost dad, we moved past and started living again, we can do that again, I know it. I love you My." Jax whispered softly in my ear.