Chapter XXXIV

Tauriel's pov

I couldn't stop crying.

I sit there hopeless, staring at my childhood friend that had become more to me in the past month dead. I was shaking, unable to speak or move otherwise.

It hurt worse than when Kili died.

I stare for a few minutes before I could find my voice.

"Please don't go Legolas." I whimper, grasping his hand. "Please don't..."

I stop when I notice a person was standing not far from me. I look at them and realize it was a ghost. Bleached hair with a black cloak, and cold blue eyes that made my insides cold. It almost made me cringe, but I was too deep in despair.

"He killed many." The ghost says. "He deserved to die."

I gasp, taken back from what he was saying. I immediately shake with anger.

"People weren't made to kill one another." The ghost says, and I notice that it was a man. "He should've known better."

"Does protecting the people he cares for justify it?" I ask, still shaking.

"There is always another way."

"Says the man whom hasn't seen the impact of war!" I retort, finally realizing who it was. "Your death maybe started it, but you never had to fight to protect someone you care about."

The ghost was taken back by my outburst.

"The reason I fight, I Kill..." I emphasize. "Is because I couldn't protect my family." I look to Legolas's lifeless body. "Legolas saved me, knowing fully that his life would be the sacrifice. He still did it." I stand, glaring him down. He doesn't move, and didn't change his expression either. "And you say all of these things about people not killing each other, but now you have killed a man!" I point to Legolas. "He didn't kill himself... you did."

My tears rush back and I collapse to my knees. I place my hand on Legolas's forehead, already feeling the cold seep through his skin.

The ghost remains silent for a few, then walks over to me. I immediately grab at my sword, placing it in a defensive stance. The ghost stops his advancement and looks at me coldly.

"Please don't come closer." I say, my voice starting to quiver. I remember that the way to activate the curse what hurt the ghost, attempting to kill him, and I certainly didn't want to do that.

"You are a strong soul." He states, but I still hold the sword in the same position. "You wish your friend could return?"

I nod. "More than anything. He has given me purpose for the past month, and I have discovered that he has saved me many times." I pause. "I love him, and I would give my life for him."

The ghost nods. "Call to him."

I look at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"The spirits of the people who have died here in Gundabad stay here. There may still be a chance to call his soul back, and it can rejoin his body. I can remove the curse, which has banished his spirit from his body, so he may be able to return."

I was dumbfounded as the ghost reaches his hand towards Legolas. He starts to glow as Legolas also proceeds to. I silently watch as blue mist seeps out of Legolas and goes back to the ghost. In a few seconds, both of them stop glowing, and the ghost looks at me solemnly.

"Call to him." He says.

I nod, grabbing Legolas's hand again and smile at him. Tears continue to race from my eyes as I talk.

"Legolas, even if you don't return I hope you hear this." I take a deep breath in. "You made me realize the real purpose of adventures. You helped me realize that there are places in the world waiting to be explored. You have saved me and I have in turn fallen for you. I did some terrible things in the past, and despite that you continue to care." I burst out sobbing. "I need you to help me realize more about life. Please Legolas, I love you."

I rest my head down against my lap, his hand hidden against my forehead. I cry, feeling his hand get covered in tears. I hold onto it tighter.

"Please Legolas." I whisper.