Chapter XXIV

Legolas's pov

Why was I falling for Tauriel?

That question pops into my head over twenty times when I was heading to the castle. I knew I was falling for her again, but I also knew that I would have my heart broken if I let it continue.

I decided a long time ago that I wouldn't love.

After Tauriel's lover, a dwarf, was killed, I realized that she would never love me. Having my heart broken once made me decide to never love again.

Yet here I am, falling for the same girl that broke my heart.

We reach the throne before I am aware of it. I forced myself to forget about Tauriel, and begin focusing on my father's meeting.

The messenger knocks on the doors before entering. I follow behind him as we reach my father. He seemed troubled by something, and I was curious why.

"Please leave us." Thranduil tells the messenger, whom nods and leaves us without saying anything.

I look at my father. "You summoned me. Is it for the journey?"

Thranduil nods. "It is."

I wait for a little, but he doesn't continue. "And..." I say impatiently.

He looks at me. "I am sending Cindor with you, as well as Chandra of the guard. I will also send around three messengers and three other warriors."

I nod. It seemed like a lot of people to send on a short trip, but I knew that I couldn't fight, and I would still try despite myself.

"And when do we depart?" I ask.

"You will leave in two days." Thranduil still seemed upset by something.

My curiosity kills me. "Is there something else?"

Thranduil seems surprised by my question, but sighs in defeat.

"Legolas, what do you think of Tauriel."

My heart seems to stop for a minute. "What do you mean?"

Thranduil looks away from me. "Do you believe Tauriel to be a genuine elf?"

I shrug, not sure where the conversation was going. "I believe she is genuine to the things she loves."

"And do you believe that she cares for you?" Thranduil continues.

I stop, pondering the question. I didn't know if she cared about me. She seemed interested in talking to me today, but does she really want to be around me?

Thranduil sighs after not receiving an answer. "She wishes to go on the trip with you."

I look at him sharply. He waves his hand to silence me.

"Did you know she lost her memory?"

I gasp quietly, the pieces of my puzzle starting to collect. I sigh. I didn't, but it explains how she seems different than 30 years ago when I last saw her."

"She lost all memory of her past, including her time as a guard, her being banished..." He pauses. "and about us. She forgot about the dwarf too."

I shake my head, my little hope of her caring about me fading. She lost memory of the dwarf, and I was positive that when it came back, she wouldn't want anything to do with me.

"Today she asked about you. She told me that she wants to help you in any way possible. She is slowly remembering her past, and is starting to remember you as a kid. She knows that she somehow hurt you, but doesn't know how."

I continue to stand there, bewildered by the news. I wasn't sure what to think of it.

"Why do you tell me this?" I ask.

Thranduil walks towards me, stopping a few feet before me. "I have a way for her to help you, and while I hate this idea, Cindor wants you to consider it. He suggests that she goes with you on your trip."

I stop breathing. I should've seen it coming, but it still surprises me.

I shake my head. "I don't know."

Thranduil shakes his head. "I hate the idea of her remembering and losing her interest in helping."

I nod. "I agree, however, I could use another experienced warrior. Tauriel is very experienced, even if she remembers or not."

"She is experienced." He agrees.

"Then I will accept her place in the group."

Thranduil sighs, and sits down on the throne again. "Don't get close to her."

I shake my head. "Certainly not." I turn around and head towards the door.

"The last thing I want is your heart to be broken again." I hear Thranduil yell at me from behind.

I nod. "I feel the same way." I leave the hall without another word.